Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wow Somethings Wrong... Help Please

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 citizenx

citizenx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:11 AM

I'm having a huge problem and im hoping someone can help me out... when i boot my computer up to windows xp i dont get any icons or anything. I cant see any files nor does it load anything. The only thing that pops up is "can not load c:/windows/sdrive" and my background is the only thing that is showing. I manage to run hijack this and got a log of it. Hopefully someone can help me out i really dont want to format my drive :thumbsup: thanks in advance

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

ok i ran an antivirus and still have the same problem.... i also found this thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...desktop+missing

which my case is the same.... thanks again

Attached Files

Edited by citizenx, 19 October 2007 - 07:54 AM.

#3 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

well im at work now... i tried getting back into windows xp to see if i can try to fix it, now it logons then logs me off right away. All i remember doing before all this started was updating Itunes/ipod. I'm willing to donate to the person who helps me fix my problem without reformatting thanks in advance

#4 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

Hello citizenx

I will be helping you with your problems.

Let me look over your log and i will get back to you in a short while.

DC

#5 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

thanks!

#6 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hello again citizenx

It looks like a virus has infected your Windows explorer file.

We need to be able to get you to logon to help us fix this problem. Have you tried booting into safemode?

Boot into Safe Mode by continuously tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer begins to boot/or as soon as you hear your pc bleep. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Try logging on in any of your accounts that have administrator priviledges or the extra administrator account that you should be able to see.

Then you will have to get an explorer.exe from another computer (make sure it is the same language and Service pack) and copy it into your c:\windows\ folder.

If you have no access to another computer with xp service pack 2, let me know and i may be able to email you a copy.

After you have copied the explorer.exe into the windows folder, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager go File > New Task (Run) and type "explorer.exe"

If you are successful in replacing the file, please download the latest version on Hijackthis as you are currently using a beta version.

Download Hijackthis from here

Thanks DC

#7 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

ok i can get on but i dont have a new explorer file can u email me it?
im using windows xp service pack 2 thanks

Edited by citizenx, 27 October 2007 - 10:46 PM.

#8 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

ok i replaced it and went to safe mode im stilling having the same problem.. also u went to boot it normally and it logs me off right away so i can log on anymore when booting normally

heres the new log

Attached Files

#9 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

Ok.

I will look into this for you asap but in the meantime could you do the following.

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Please click this link-->Jotti

When the jotti page has finished loading, click the Browse button and navigate to the following file and click Submit.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\systs.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

Try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/
Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

Cheers DC

#10 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

hmm i cant find that file.....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\systs.exe

i see systray also i cant get on the internet or anything in safe mode on my pc so im using vista

#11 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi citizenx

Sorry for the delay but i am having connection problems at the moment.

While looking at your log i have seen evidence of the W32.Virut infection.

This virus basically tries to attack all .exe and .scr files on a machine.

While some sites suggest that the threat level isnt too high, with the symptons you have, it is fairly obvious that this virus has comprmised/damaged alot of your vital operating system executables.

Even though you have pointed out you do not want to, in this case i strongly suggest a reformat.

You can back up any non .exe or .scr files such as photo's, music and videos but nothing else as this could reinfect your machine or any machine that these files are run on.

Whatever you decide to do i will help you with.

Regards

DC

#12 citizenx

citizenx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

all righty then i guess ill just format thanks for the help hopefully it never happens again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users