Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems & System 32 Config Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ch51

ch51

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

W3115 emachine AMD Sempron 3100+
512MB, 120GB, DVD, DVDRW, XPPRO-MC

Used - bought recently.

(My Girls' computer) has had some problems lately ...
It locked up while visiting a "kiddie" website ...

On rebooting, we got this screen:
The following file is missing or corrupt
Windows\system32\config\system.

I have tried F8 to reset and to the last know configuration but this
doesn't seem to have been a permanent solution.
The machine did not come with discs (to try Recovery Console).
I have my XP Pro disc - but am not sure if this would conflict with their "Media Center Edition".

Machine has started to "power down" randomly.
Often has trouble rebooting after this ...
(it doesn't try to reboot itself, I have to manually do it).

Often will beep repeatedly - black screen.

One of the best ways to get it to shut off is to try updating
Windows - it will die in midstream EVERY time.

Hardware?
Software?

I <can> probably take it back ... but it's not a local shop,
and I would like to remove about +/- 85 GB of data I have temporarily
stored on the drive FIRST - mostly 'cause I don't trust the place I bought it from not to <lose> my data.

The drive is partitioned.

I am running Computer Associates Anti-virus (Version 8) & Ad-aware

and have since added:

Sitehound, Spybot, Spyware Blaster & Zoned Out.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

The beep errors need to be checked out: http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

And I would run chkdsk /r on the system, after changing the crash reboot option.

How To Disable Automatic Reboot Option - http://www.datapath.co.uk/how%20to%204.htm

Then, I would see what lies in Event Viewer.

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Event Viewer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2007 - 02:44 PM.

#3 ch51

ch51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

> The beep errors need to be checked out: AMIBIOS-codes.pdf - http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS-codes.pdf

That link isn't working ...

It's a steady beeeeep ___________ beeeeep ___________ beeeeep ___________ (approx. 1 second per beep, approx. 1 second per space)

> And I would run chkdsk /r on the system, after changing the crash reboot option.

I did run chkdsk, but will run it again as per below.
What does the "/r" part mean?

> How To Disable Automatic Reboot Option - http://www.datapath.co.uk/how%20to%204.htm

> Then, I would see what lies in Event Viewer.

> Microsoft Windows XP - Using Event Viewer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

I did look at the Event viewer, and saw "nothing exciting" (to me).
I will look again after following your suggestions - and will post the results.

I'm not at home now ... so this will be <later>.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Link corrected, something wrong at the AMI website.

You can Google if you want info on the various switches for running chkdsk...or simply read the Microsoft link explaining running it from Explorer/My Computer.

Errors are what you are looking for in Event Viewer.

Louis

#5 ch51

ch51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

> Link corrected, something wrong at the AMI website.

Thanks - I did look there too - but I'm also (supposed to be) working ...

The beeping would appear to be:

Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection

> You can Google if you want info on the various switches for running chkdsk...or simply read the Microsoft link explaining running it from Explorer/My Computer.

OK - I understand that now.

> Errors are what you are looking for in Event Viewer.

That's what I assumed - but there weren't any for <most> of the occasions where the machine shut down.

I'm <assuming> that changing the various settings as you've suggested will possibly change this result (?).

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

On rebooting, we got this screen:
The following file is missing or corrupt
Windows\system32\config\system.

The above error is always due to a corrupt or missing registry hive. Usually the computer is unbootable when it occurs. The standard resolution is an OS reinstall -- however the technically adventurous can attempt something else. I'll lead you there if necessary.

But if you can boot at all -- do a system restore to a date well prior to the message: Start > Run: msconfig > launch System Restore.

This does not mean that there are not underlying hardware problems. You need to sort out the beep code to see what it is referring to.

Continuous beeping may be a sign of overheating -- and that can be followed by a sudden shutdown.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

In general, all the parts of the system are interconnected - this means that an error in one area can affect other areas. In particular, the memory error is of concern, so IMO it's the first thing that should be checked.

You can download a free memory tester from here (follow the directions to make a bootable disk): http://www.memtest86.com/
And, as long as you're testing, you can download a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to test your drive for errors (one of the possibilities for the "The following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\system32\config\system" error).

You "should" be able to run CHKDSK from the recovery console of any XP disk - just don't go past the screen where it asks you to press R to repair Windows using the Recovery Console. I haven't tried this myself, but the worst than can happen (heeding the previous caveat) is that it'll refuse to run.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users