Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:10 PM

Just wondering, if anyone knows anything about the following error message. “Caution; You do not have the administrator priviledge to execute this application.”.... On many applications and programs, it gives me this error message and forces me to have to right click and click "Run as administrator".... I don't quite understand since i just installed vista today, this user account is the only one and it is certainly set to administator user type.... Please if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this it would be much appreciated

Much Respect
Josh :huh:

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 19 October 2007 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

AFAIK this is just Defender looking after the system. It can be turned off and you should not get this message again.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:41 AM

This is (IMO) the down side of User Account Control (UAC) - it runs as a standard user and prompts you to elevate if it needs additional privileges to execute the program. The easiest way to "fix" this is to only use Vista compatible programs with your computer.

If that doesn't work for you, then you'll have to decide if you really want to keep UAC (a good thing IMO). While I do recommend that eveyone use UAC, I"ve opted to disable it on my home system because of the amount of experimentation that I do on it. All of my other Vista systems still have it enabled and I put up with the hassle on them. To disable it you'll have to go into User Accounts in Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

Alright thx a bunch i have disabled UAC, will this cause any major problems in regards to security though?.. That is my prime concern...... and im guessing this message saying "User account control" is off click here to fix the problem will likely always be on, or is there a way to disable that also, since thats gonna be quite an annoyance if it just stays there and wants me to fix it :huh: Any ideas on how to disable this message prompting me to click to fix.?
So as i said earlier will this cause much of a problem in regards to security or should i be safe disabling this?

Edited by Roadblock, 19 October 2007 - 09:05 AM.

#5 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

I see this option on the left that says change the way security center alerts me, i can choose Don't notify me and don't display the icon. This will likely fix the problem im sure, but as I posted above will this cause a major security problem ?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

IMO if you weren't getting infected before (with XP) then you should be OK with it off in Vista. OTOH - if you'd been infected with XP, then leaving UAC on may help "stem the tide" if you do become infected.

There are differing views on the helpfulness of UAC. I say it's a good thing, others say that it's essentially useless (because a determined hacker can work around it). FWIW - it's more secure if you have it than if you don't.

As for the notifications - I don't have a clue on how to shut them off. I just ignore them on my system and they seem to go away.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

Alright thx for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users