Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Drives Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Element

Element

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

I'm running off of Windows XP, so I expect to post this here. I'm not sure where I would need to normally.
I'm getting... Irritated. At my computer at the moment.
It all started when my USB mouse stopped responding with the Adapter, which changes it to a male to female plug. Which plugs into the Mouse Port of older computers.
I eventually got it to work. But it seems to only work in one certain USB port.
Neither my Tablet, nor my scanner work in that port.

As well, I doubt this has much to do with it. My Ipod Shuffle had the Green/Orange lights of death. When I plugged it into the USB, it didn't respond with the computer.
Then of course. It got Really REALLY hot. So I took it out >_> And of course a burn smell came from the Ipod's headphone jack. Not a good sign. After that it wouldn't work at all.

Back to my computer. All 3 of the other back USB ports do not seem to respond with anything now. Not my Tablet, Scanner, or my USB/Firewire Combo Hub.

The two USB ports on the front of the computer, thanks to Dell, don't work anyways because its almost near impossible to plug anything into them.

I'm really confused as hell right now. Meh.
There is too much information right now for me to post up at the moment. If you want something specific I'll be able to supply you with the information. Sorry for being so Vague on this matter. I just am rather irritated at the moment.

If this needs to be moved elsewhere, do not hesitate to move it.

---Edit---
Oh yeah. This should be in hardware. >_> Well. I know eventually somebody will move it.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 18 October 2007 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

Does anything work in any of the USB ports? Do you have a flash drive that you can test each port with.

The burning smell is definitely a concern - either the iPod was bad or the computer is bad. If it's the computer, it could point to the other problems that you're having with the USB ports.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Element

Element
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

Well. This is what happened to my Ipod. And there isn't much I can do about that.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126146-page,1/article.html
Just getting a new one is the best option.

But, as I said. The mouse is a USB mouse, Its working in ONE of the ports. It doesn't seem to work in any of the others.
And neither my Tablet nor scanner work in ANY of the ports, even the one the mouse works with.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB flash drive. Although I do need to get one.

---Edit---
Okay. My Firewire/USB Hub plugs into the computer via a USB port.
Every plug I put it into, it turns the red light and the green lights on.
The Red light I assume is power.
The Green light I assume is that its connected to the computer.
So there IS being connectivity through the USB ports. Allthough nothing is actually being recognized.

While my Tablet on the other hand, it has a blue light that comes on whenever it is connected.
But that light doesn't come on when I plug it into any of the USBs.

And this Tablet works (Usually) Even without installing the driver, Which I have done.

Edited by Element, 21 October 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

Are you using the docking station? Another poster, a while back, scorched/melted one of his plugs. Go into Device Manager and expand the + by the USB controllers and make sure there are not any yellow exclamation points by anything, indicating problems. I didn't read the entire article in your link. What is Apple doing about their problem?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Element

Element
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Tel...viceManager.jpg
Seems good to me.

And, I know they made a "Ipod Shuffle Restorer" Something around those lines.
But since my Ipod wasn't being recognized by the computer, it did absolutely nothing.

And here is the closest thing I can google to my FireWire/USB hub.
Language is Japanese (I believe) on the page. http://www.frostyplace.com/index.php?story_id=616

Again. This hub plugs into the computer, Via USB. But what I plug into it (When its plugged into the computer and the lights are on), AND/OR the computer, doesn't work. Except for the mouse.

Edited by Element, 21 October 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#6 Busy Bee

Busy Bee

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:34 AM

Hi Element,

Sorry to barge in but this post caught my eye. My appologies if I am out of place. Please let me know. Thanks.

I am only very new to BC but my first post here was to seek help for my "unknown device" = my external hard disc drive first and then anything else I plugged into my USB ports were not being recognised by Windows but they were fine before the problem started, it turns out I had a virus.

You might want to take a look at my post and the replies, would't hurt... My USB problem is now fixed. I was given vey good advice there.

My post is in the : "Am I infected? What do I do?" forum : avast!4.7, Win32:autorun-r [trj] And A Novice Don't Mix Well.
Sorry I do not know how to insert the link yet.

HTH

Good luck fixing your problem.

Busy Bee
Busy Bee
Always greatful for any advice but especially greatful for step by step advice. I am a computer dummy.

#7 Element

Element
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

This is an unusual turn of events.
For some odd reason a Digital Camera is able to be used on this computer via the so-thought-unworking USB drives.
yet my Tablet still has no light that comes on when I plug it in.
Nor does my scanner seem to respond at all.

I'm going to reinstall their drives just incase now. Allthough my Tablet should work even without the drivers.

I scanned the comp. It appears clean now. But still no working. Thanks for your help still Busy Bee.

#8 Element

Element
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

I've come to another possible solution to why my Scanner and my Tablet aren't working. And they have to do with my Ipod.
Its possible my Computer fried them all through the USB port.
But if thats the case.... meh....
I hope I still have them under warrenty....

-edit-
Sorry about double posting.
This is rather.... upsetting for me.

Edited by Element, 22 October 2007 - 10:15 PM.

#9 Busy Bee

Busy Bee

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

You are welcome. It was just a thought.

Good luck finding a solution.

Busy Bee
Busy Bee
Always greatful for any advice but especially greatful for step by step advice. I am a computer dummy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users