Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best All-in-one Security Solution

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 firefighter17103

firefighter17103

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

I am just wondering what everyone thinks is the best suite. I was thinking about trend-micro, bit-defender, CA, or Norton...
Any other suggestions??? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

I use bitdefender. http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hi firefighter17103, :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer

Norton 360 is a great new progam from Symantec that includes all-in-one protection against Viruses, Spyware, and Hackers. It automatically removes spyware and threats as well as automatically updates. It does everything automatically, you basically "set it and forget it". It also cleans out temporary files and cache that can clog your system (kinda like Disk Defrag does).
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#4 firefighter17103

firefighter17103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

the prob i have w/ norton is it uses alot of system resources

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

I ran the 30 day trial of norton 360 in my vm, and was not impressed. It had the same problems that norton has had since about 2003, as in high resource usage, and the inability to remove everything that it detects. Some of the new features in 360 did work great, but as a package, it did not work fully, even the delete on reboot did not work correctly for me, so once again, norton is on my personal list of programs not to use. I will try again next year, and see if they improve for me.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:39 AM

All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. Further, they tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Finally, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

I've been using Kisv7 on my computer and my son's since March.It seems to run light and we're not having any problems with it.I'm assuming that all the suites have trial versions so give one of them a run and see what you thinks.

#8 firefighter17103

firefighter17103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

quietman,

what programs would you recomend i don't mind paying

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

NOD32 Anti-Virus Personal or Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

If you must use a suite, then my choice would be Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.

Sunbelt's Counterspy for realtime protection against spyware.

Stand-alone scanning tools:
AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 for protection against Trojans
SUPERAntiSpyware Free to use as a general purpose scanning tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

I'am at present utilizing two fully up to date copies of ZoneAlarms Internet Security Suite 2007,with one copy being employed on my Dell Dimension 4300 and the other being fully utilized on my Dell Inspiron 2200.The cause as to this post is not to talk about the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite,it is to make mention of a slightly different if not daring bit of advanced security thinking from the likes of eEye Digital Security.Appearing on Episode#91 from the Security Now broadcast series by way of grc.com High quality (64 kbps) mp3 audio file URL:http://media.GRC.com/sn/SN-091.mp3 Quarter size (16 kbps) mp3 audio file URL: http://media.GRC.com/sn/sn-091-1q.mp3 is a discussion with Marc Maiffret a former would be hacker and nearly jailbird to one of eEye Digitals founders with a great all around discussion about heuristic thinking as well as the preemptive approach to a comprehensive security solution some may find the discussion very useful if not intelligent.A for instance occurred when I received my New Chase ATM/Charge Card with the letters Blink written in the middle of the card.I found this to be an amazing story and a great listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users