Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Else Hate Flash?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

i hate websites that use flash. i am not amused by animations or graphics that move when you hover over them. i want things to just stay still. but the biggest reason why i am against it is because you cant bookmark a link in it. i just want websites to be efficient and simple and confuse me with too much to look at at once.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rainbow32

Rainbow32

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm using a flash animation with a Halloween theme for my desktop background right now.
I like it and it's pretty cool.
As for websites it's a take it or leave it thing depending on how cool it looks.
Can't you click on the link and then bookmark the site from there?

#3 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

yeah. you can book mark the entire site. but not a certian part of it. im talking about websites where the whole website is flash and menus pop up and disappear everytime u move the mouse.

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Let's see...

You could remove the Flash software from your computer, or stop visiting sites that annoy you. Seems pretty simple, to me.

There are a lot of fun little games that require Flash to play. And fun things to look at, as well. I guess it all depends on whether or not you like fun. :thumbsup:

#5 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

you guys still dont understand. maybe i didnt explain it right. flash is great for games, youtube, etc. i think i made a mistake when i said sites that USE flash. what i mean is sites that ARE flash. like mcdonalds.com burgerking, tacobell, pizza hut, dominos. it seems that all the fast food sites are 100% made in flash.

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

...like mcdonalds.com burgerking, tacobell, pizza hut, dominos...

I can't help myself; I have to ask. Why the fascination with fast-food joints?

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder if any of these companies ever consider what their flashing screens might do to epileptic users.

#7 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

I never go to sites like McDonald's, Tacobell... but these flash animations annoy me too. I like simplicity, and flickering sites that look like 'Gardenland' will only make people press the 'X' button as soon as possible! :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have to completely agree that Flash is not to be used to design an entire site, ever.

Consider this: Macromedia (now Adobe) does not design their website in Flash. They include Flash where appropriate, but that's it. If the flippin' maker of the software doesn't do it, neither should you.

On the other side of the server, though, is the designer. Maintaining a flash site is a huge pain in the rear-end compared to a non-flash site. With pure XHTML/CSS you can edit any page in Notepad (I prefer Notepad++, though) in under 30 seconds usually. In Flash, you need to do way to much just to change the smallest thing.

#9 paige3663

paige3663

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

Speaking of Flash
I cant even install Adobe Flash player
Dont know if that is a lingering effect from my virus or what
"The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in time of comfort and convenience but how he stands at time of controversy and challenge" Martin Luther King

#10 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Its a pain to even build a site in Flash. That program is very picky. You have to do everything exactly the right way or your site, or even game or animation wont work properly. I love flash when its working. But when it acts up I want to throw my computer out the window.

As for complete flash sites, I agree. They are a pain. Having a flash animation for your menu bar or something is fine, as long as the pages themselves are completely separate.
Posted Image

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

I'm with you, Mr. Freeware. In addition to hating sites that overuse or are built entirely of Flash, I'm on slow dialup, so I usually time out at such sites, anyway.

However, there are times when I really, really want to look at something that I know is on the site. BTW, most sites that have a home page built entirely of Flash usually offer a link to get past it. And I've discovered that most sites don't use Flash throughout. So here's what I do....

First, I try getting in the back door by changing the URL to something that's usually pretty common, such as www.annoyingflashsite.com/contact or /about, or something along those lines. If that doesn't work, I'll get a friend who can get onto the site to send me some links that'll work for me.

Paige, what kind of problem are you having with the installation? I had a lot of trouble myself, and then I helped someone else, but I'll be darned if I can find that thread, even though I searched for about 15 minutes. :thumbsup: Oh, just noticed we're in General Chat. If you want to discuss this in detail, I'd suggest you start a new thread in the All Other Applications forum.

ETA: No wonder I couldn't find the thread. It's at another forum, where my icky username is Old Mom. Maybe that thread will help you.

Edited by Dialer, 02 December 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#12 paige3663

paige3663

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hey Dialer
It finally worked for me
I went a different route that was in the adobe site
"The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in time of comfort and convenience but how he stands at time of controversy and challenge" Martin Luther King

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

It finally worked for me

Good job, Paige! :thumbsup:

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

Woo hoo! :flowers:

I just installed SpywareBlaster and while configuring it ran across an option called Flash Killer. From the help file:

Flash Killer: Macromedia Flash can be used to display animated interfaces on websites, animations, and other "Flash" content. Unfortunately, advertisers have begun to use Flash as a method for creating annoying and distracting content. And some users that wish to keep Flash off of their computers altogether have found it troublesome to prevent every website that uses Flash from installing it. Flash Killer can set the kill bit for the Macromedia Flash control (versions 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x) - preventing the installation completely and disabling it if it is already installed. Reversing this procedure is easy.

Since I do want to keep Flash on my machine for offline viewing, this would appear to be the perfect solution for me, and perhaps for others who dislike Flash. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users