Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Lot Of Extra Stuff On My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

I don't know if this is where to post this or not. And I'll try to not be too lengthy in my explanation.

Over the past two weeks, there have been various issues I have been dealing with-- I posted about two different computers here to ask advice on them. Well, I also had to make lots of phone calls to the techs for varoius software. And the techs had me download fix applications to use on their various products. I now have 9 extra icons on my desktop, used (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to fix whatever it was they determined it should fix with their program.

Do I need to keep them? None of these are in add/remove, and I know I can't just delete the shortcut and think i got rid of the program, but i don't know how to get rid of them.

Today, I was having trouble installing a school program, and the tech had me go to a chat where they could see my desktop and do stuff to my computer. I now have a new user named installer, as of today. (he had me type the password, so he doesn't have it). For the first half of the call, he was also on the phone with me so i could ask a bit about what he was doing. But because all the things he tried weren't working, he suspected spyware or something, so he dl and started a ewido scan, and said he had to disconnect the phone call, but he'd be back to the computer and use the chat window. This meant that connection was open for a half hour or so-- anybody working there could have had accesss to my computer. So i stayed at my desk and watched! LOL!

There was nothing overly threatening on the scan--just a few low to medium risk cookies. (As I suspected--you all have taught me well here!) So he looked at a few other things and concluded I am missing some program or application and asked if I had my Win XP media disk. I can't find it-- don't know if it wasn't sent with the computer or if i have lost it--this computer is a little under a year old, and I don't recall putting away any discs when i got the computer--it could be CRS, but I have a fairly good memory. So when he said i needed the disk i asked if i should call right then and he said yeah.

Here is where I got a bit nervous. . .

He opened a notepad on my desktop, didn't type this in the chat window, that I needed the license key, and to go to rockxp and rip it. I asked "Now?" and he said yeah. Um, he could see my screen still. I told him I'd have the kids crawl under my desk and get it for me from the sticker on the back. I wasn't sure i trusted looking it up while he could see the screen.

Was I overly cautious? I mean, this was a company that sells a whole lot of software, and has techs online to help all the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

List what the 6 new programs are on your desktop. Were you over cautious? Yeah, probably but better safe than sorry.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

garmanma, thanks. I kinda figured it could be safe, because if he got caught it could mean his job, but because he kept saying go ahead and get it now, it made me more nervous about it! :flowers:

The stuff on my desktop: Linksys had me get Linksys upgrade, a "WRT54GSv5v6_v1[1].52.2_fw" which is a .bin file, and tftp. One of those opened the .bin file. Then The Switched-On-School tech dl
"SOS cleanup tool", a data utility(67)--which has the SOS icon, and a dotnetcleanup_tool2. Also, there is a shortcut for the student application, even though the whole SOS was removed at Add/remove

I don't know if I would need the linksys stuff at a lter time or not, but if it's several months or something, why not dl it then?

The SOS problem is not resolved, so I s'pose those could stay until I can get the school program up and running.

Though I wasn't planning on having to do this, since the dive space is only 40 GB, I installed that school program back onto my son's computer so he could get back to his school. Got all the subjects installed, etc (Took some time) and then when I tried to load the backups from SOS that i backed up last week before I did the clean install, I got the same error as yesterday on my computer.
"cannot establish a valid database connection Please contact technical support"

So all that time was fer nuttin! I was ready to kick the computer-- or SOMETHING! LOL!

I guess I'm going to have to uninstall it on his computer again, and then be on the phone with SOS tech support again for half the day :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users