Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Addition To Existing Set Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

I have a internal sata hard drive from my old dell that has a bunch of files on it that I want to transfer to my new pc.
The ASUS motherboard on my new system has an external sata port , can I just connect old sata drive to that port ? I would guess that they would need to be compatible but other then the fact that they are both sata drives does anything else matter ? there is an available internal sata port on motherboard also that I could add the old drive to.
Once the files on the old drive are on my new machine I don't plan on keeping the old drive connected.
I dont want to partiion anything or do anything like that I dont know much about RAID but I know this motherboard supports it and I have JMicron JBM36X RAID controllers Driver installed.
Do I have to change RAID settings in BIOS prior to connecting old drive ? I need help - I dont want to damage any of my equipment so I am not going to do anything until I know what I am doing- just wondering if adding the old drive to my existing system is something I could do without bringing my machine in to be professionally done. Any help would be greatly appreciated
bottom line is I just want to get the files from old hard drive onto the new one - I know of the "Ghost" software - but Ive never used it ? - I dont have a cd burner on the old system or I would just burn the files onto a disc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

if the files are small enough to fit on a cd, why don't you get a usb thumb drive, they are extremely handy and very cheap nowdays

the cost of the drive would be worth the time and trouble saved
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

great idea- I am going to look into that- it would be a lot easier than anything doing any of that hard drive stuff. thanks for the reminder-I always forget about those things!

UPDATED: I am all set! I got a 2GB Sony® MICROVAULT for 25$ from Staples® . (I like using the ®) I don't know how to do it with the keyboard- I have to copy and paste it all the time ®

Edited by genthore, 18 October 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

I hold the Alt key and type 0174 on the keypad to get this: ®
But, I'm using Vista - so it may be different for you.

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2007 - 08:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users