Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Workgroup Via Wireless

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

We have a small workgroup at my work. Most are wired XP pcs which use a shared ADSL modem and shared printers

3 pcs are wireless notebooks. 2 can see all the other PCs in Network Places, but the third cannot.

The offending machine is running AVG antivirus and firewall, but SMB file and print sharing is allowed. Turning off the firewall does not fix the problem.

It can ping everyone on the network, and can see the gateway and use the internet. It can print to the shared printer too!

It must be a windows setting i guess. The error is 'mshome is not accessible.... etc', and yes, we are on the workgroup MSHOME.

---- I've noticed that I can ping by IP address but not by name, is that significant?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Edited by sipickles, 18 October 2007 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hi sipickles, well your last line has answered the question 'I've noticed that I can ping by IP address but not by name, is that significant?' yes it is! It looks like a DNS problem as you can ping all the other PCs. The thing is now to find out why have alook at the link although it may be a deeper issue we have to start somewhere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553
Flush DNS
First of all it would be a good idea to flush the local DNS cache so we are starting with a clean sheet
open a command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns You will then get a window confirming the flush

Edited by Monty007, 18 October 2007 - 05:34 PM.

MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users