Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"insert Boot Media" Error Message?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 starnz

starnz

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in slected boot device and press a key"

This is the message I get when I start up my computer.

Yesterday, I was sitting in my computer room doing some paperwork when all of the sudden the computer flashes a screen saying that an error was detected and the system needs to reboot. It happened suddenly so I was unable to read the whole message. After it rebooted itself, the above message appeared and has been there since. I tried restating while tapping F2 and that did nothing. If I tap F1 it will take me to the BIOS screen but I dont know enough to make changes in there without direction. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this message and could help me fix it? Also I was hoping to be able to fix it without having to wipe everything clean.

thanks

ps I am running XP on an HP media center cpu. No updates or changes have been made recently and no programs were running at the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi starnz and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try doing a Last Known Good Configuration. The link below will take you to a web site which has instructions for doing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

If you can do this then you need to go into the Event Viewer to see what errors have occurred recently. Go to start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. Once you have opened the event viewer look in the upper left hand corner and confirm that you have System Log high lighted, look for the lines that have a red dot with an X inside of it, these are the errors. There is a column that is titled Event, follow the line across from the error symbol to the Event column and right click on the number in that box, click on properties in the drop down menu, and read what the description is. Do this with the first four error and post them back here please.

Edited by dc3, 18 October 2007 - 10:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I tried the F8 option but it doesnt recognize that command. All I am able to access is the BIOS screen via F1 or by pressing esc it says BBS pop-up. If I hit nothing, then the error message comes up. If I hit F8 with the error message on, the message is multiplied numerous times.

#4 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

I did some searching on the internet and found the following, it exactly describes my message.......

BIOS by American Megatrend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The error message in this case is quite vague and does not provide a specific cause of the failure. It is a result of not finding anything bootable device.

Basically, the message tells you that the first round of boot sequence failed and it is ready to repeat the boot sequence from scratch.

Remedy:

It is often a result of simple mistake in your BIOS setup. You might have simply forgotten to load the disette in the FDD.
Check the BIOS settings in the boot device list.

If the problem persists, you may try the Quick Boot Diskette (QBD) method. The QBD with an appropriate entry in the BOOT.INI file will allow you to select any volume (Disk Number and Partitioin Number). Once you successfully boot into the Windows, you may fix the problem (via the Disk Management utility).

The beauty of the QBD method is that you may create a QBD by running XXCLONE on another computer. The previous pages in the Technical Notes should provide additional help.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.IJpxdH72gA...om/xclnhh55.htm

This seems to give the solution to the problem but just not in enough detail. I dont know what to look for in the BOIS to check its settings

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

whats the model of your HP computer? You'll have to go into bios and see if your hard drive is still detected

if your hard drive isn't detected, it might have died

if you got a voltage surge and there was no permanent damage your bios settings might have glitched?

your ram, cpu, motherboard and video must be working

have you checked to make sure the power and ide cable are securely fastened to your hard drive?

Edited by DaChew, 18 October 2007 - 01:58 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Well, my guess is that your hard drive reflected problems.

Step 1: Check all connections for drives and power supply. Make sure connections are connect, reasonably tight. Make sure that visible fans in the power supply and the system/CPU are turning.

Step 2: Go into the BIOS. Find the boot options (IDE-0, CD/DVD, floppy, etc.). Make sure that IDE-0 is reflected as the first option.

Step 2a. Make sure that your first screen in the BIOS reflects any drives which are on the system. At the minimum, there should be 1 hard drive and 1 CD/DVD drive reflected, with (hopefully) each being the primary on IDE channels 1 and 2, respectively.

Step 2b: Save all setttings in the BIOS by pressing F10 (which results in save and reboot).

Let us know what happens :thumbsup:...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#7 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the replies, there are two things that I need to share. First thing is the computer had been working fine and this was just an all of the sudden type of thing. It hadnt been opened or jostled so do I still need to check if the cables are still connected? Secondly, I do know there is a problem with my fan, or at least one of them. My model has two fans in the back and one of them is bad. I can have it replaced but do I need to have that done first or will this work as it had been before with the bad fan?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

open your computer, disconnect the bad fan

1. you may have overheated and fried the hard drive, but probably not

2. the bad fan could be pulling the voltage too low to allow the hard drive to boot

either way the fan would have to be replaced

any luck with bios yet?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Well...running a system without a basic fan (one on the CPU or in the power supply) is just asking for it.

I've done it before (back in my Win 98 days when I did not know/understand very much) and I was lucky. I don't think anyone should ever count on being lucky when it comes to running a system under less than minimum routine conditions.

But, it's not my system...

Loosened connectors, for whatever reason, can cause a system to behave improperly. You decide. It's not dangerous, takes a few minutes, and may prove beneficial.

Louis

#10 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

I would again like to thank everyone for thier input and suggestions. I havent had the chance yet to try the BIOS changes but I will report back with what happens. I now understand that a bad fan is asking for trouble so if this BIOS thing works then that will be my next step........ live and learn I guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users