Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Compaq Evo 510 Sff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

My ol Compaq Evo 510 dies today of causes unknown.

Was working fine this morning before I left for work, had recent M$ updates, virus scan and spyware scan and not a glitch. Shut it down before leaving for work, got home, turned it on, CD drive goes, fans for processor and power supply, no video, nothin.

Took one stick of RAM out and tried, same thing. Swapped both, same thing. Plugged in 1 stick of RAM and unplugged hard drive and left CD-ROM, nothing. Plugged in everything, voila, we got a POST screen and we have WinBlows. Get into Windowes, everything honkey dory, open up FF, start surfin, crash goes Fox, send report to M$, click on more info after report, bam....computer bleeps down, no BSOD nothing. Tried above procedures, nothing. Put in AGP video card, hey, woo hoo! We see the XP bazr thingie, then , no monitor, no hard drive activity, just fans....

Anyone know whats going on? bad power supply I am guessing. Not going to find one on ebay, spend arm and a leg, try to figure out how it comes apart ( its a desktop not a tower) and come to find I have a bad board or some bad capciators on the board.

Compaq Evo 510 SFF
2.0 Ghz Pentium 4 Intel
2x 256 DDR PC2700 RAM
20 GB Seagate Barracuda IDE
Intergrated Intel graphics
Integrated Soundmax Audio

From what I hear, these things are tanks and are quite reliable. Maybe its my bad luck with Compaq's the last 3 years.

So anyone here that are familiar with these PC's, I could reaally use some help. I'm pretty computer literate but when it comes to hardware problems besides hard drives and memory, I am lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

Just to be sure that I understand, you did open the computer and found bad caps?

A bad PSU would cause the kind symptoms that you are describing, over heating could also cause this and if you have had this computer for three years and haven't opened it you should open it and clean it out. Dust and pet fur can accumulate on the CPU heat sink and the CPU will over heat and shut down the computer. If you are going to poke around inside please discharge any static build up in you system by touching the metal of the case before you handle any of the components inside the case. If you have a Volt meter you could check the PSU 12V and 5V rails by reading the Voltages at one of the molex connectors.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 narcoreality

narcoreality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:16 AM

Hi,

Not much dust inside and for the caps, I wouldn't know a bad one and I don't have a power meter to test the PSU. I did feel a lot of heat sometimes from the back of the unit and seemed like there wasn't much airflow, but the way those EVO destops are designed, I have no clue what so ever.

I see there are a couple latches for the cpu heatsink, but I never dealt with oner before and dont think I better cause I have no idea what I am doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users