Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Adapter Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stegy

Stegy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

For some reason or another, my display driver all of a sudden just stopped working. I believe that I messed with it a few months ago when I tried to update it. I was playing a computer game and wanted to improve my graphics so I could play the game smoother. Needless to say, I must have messed with my computer because now I really can't play any computer games.

But lately, something odd has happened. While I can connect to the Internet just fine, my computer seems to be slower than normal. And it's not the speed of the computer, but the whole idea of scrolling and moving windows. It seems like the computer needs an extra second to catch up to me while before it didn't need any extra time.

What should I do? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

the best remedy might be to start over regarding the display drivers, if you aren't very careful updating ati or nvidia drivers, the old ones stay around and cause conflicts, which seems to be the case for you

make sure your agp or motherboard inf for pci-e is up to date and then run a driver cleaner program for your video chipset,
reboot after every step, use control panel/add and remove programs for anything that relates to video

windows will try to reinstall old drivers if you let it, it's more of an art than a science to making this work, very hit or miss I am afraid

you will know when you did it right and get a clean install of the right driver, that's when I don't touch it again

Edited by DaChew, 17 October 2007 - 09:11 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Stegy

Stegy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

So how should I approach this? Should I just download a driver cleaner program and take it from there?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

what motherboard? latest driver?

what video card?

go slow or else you will just be doing it all over and over and over etc

I learned the hard way, hate to admit how many times I have reloaded windows because of graphis drivers

long ago and far away

Edited by DaChew, 17 October 2007 - 09:19 PM.

Chewy

#5 Stegy

Stegy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Hmm.. I'm not sure what all my specs are or exactly how to find them. I have an older laptop (got it about 2 years ago) and haven't made any technological changes to it other than upping the RAM. It's just a Toshiba Satellite A65-S1067 laptop.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

doesn't sound like a driver update problem? did you add a generic ati driver?

unfortunately the toshiba page says the ati/display/ide driver must be loaded before any other ones

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...;all_docs=false
Chewy

#7 Stegy

Stegy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

Hmm.. I remember that file; I tried to download it three times, lol. I keep getting an error message that tells me to update my display driver with VGA standards, or something like that. =(

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:43 AM

I helped a friend reload his tosh laptop, we were setting it up with a clean generic install, we never could get it right until we updated his bios. He had bought it used from a pawn shop and had no reinstall disks.

It was one of the most challenging loads I have ever seen, when we got it right tho, it amazed me how well it ran, probably a lot better than brand new.

Many factory computers are quite broken when new, they try to patch them with updates later, I could see why the pawn shops are full of them.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users