Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A-squared Highjackfree

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ikillya69

ikillya69

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

had some viruses and spyware did a hjt log follwed everything i was told to do.My scans have now all come up clean.It was at another site but everything is working great no problems.I downloaded a-squared used the highjack free log and it shows stuff that it says are put there by a virus.i have run kaspersky and superantispyware it all comes back clean.The malware staff memeber said all the files are what they should be as shown by the dss scan.My questoin is why would it show so many false positives.i looked up some files on google say they are ligit but could be a virus.

sys.ini - shell explorer.exe wich shows up as added by a virus
configure.nt-dos high,umb it says adware downloader trojan
under tricky startup winlogon it shows -shell explorer.exe wich shows up as added by a virus
shell open command-"%1" screen saver says added by r-botagp worm
other tricky -web check.dll it says added by cone.c or cone.f worm
in my atuo start it shows sa it says logitech quickcamdriver i dont and have never had a webcam.tried to delet it came back.

i was also wondering if getiing rid of addons and activex files is ok do they take up much memory?
and is there a better tool then highjackfree for this?
thxs for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

HijackThis is an advanced tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself.

HijackThis is an enumerator and similar in some respects to a registry editor program which displays areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. HijackThis will scan certain areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in these known hiding places. It then relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries and determine what needs to be fixed.

a-squared Highjackfree and online analyzers work in a similar manner but rely on the user's ability to interpret the results and determine what needs to be fixed. However, they often provide misleading and/or questionable results. In my experience, they DO NOT always identify all the malware or all the files properly. They sometimes list legitimate files as bad and bad files as legitimate. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in malware investigation, you should NOT fix anything with these analyzers without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

If you just received assistance from an expert who verified your system as clean, then rely on that person and not on alternative tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users