Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud And Cant Fix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jali

jali

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

I've been trying to fix my sons computer after he got some viruses/malaware on it. Ive run, avast, spybot and adaware, they see the problem but they cannot remove, or say they are removing but when I reboot they havent removed them at all.

Ive shut off system restore.

I read through these forums for the Smitfraud fix and followed them, however smitfraud.exe isnt running like it says it should on these forums. Im not being give the various options after a certain point. Example, it says its cleaning the computer and then we end up with just the black safemode screen, all icons are gone, no taskbar, i then have to switch the computer off at the tower to reboot and try again to find the problem still exists, I do not get the notepad texts of a log as it says would happen in the fix.

We actually never get to step 10 in the fix shown on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/17258/how-to-remove-the-smitfraud-generic-zlob-quicknavigate-virtual-maid/

Well I hope Ive given enough information and have posted in the correct forum (first post).

Jali

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Super Antispyware will remove Smitfraud malware and the malware that accompanies Smitfraud.

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Please let us know the results.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jali

jali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Just did a search on the superantispyware as I do not want to take the chance of anything else happening to his computer and found a forum saying this program itself puts rubbish on your computer and became difficult to remove. Sorry to be distrusting but after reading that, cant use your fix, i dont feel confident in it after reading what I did on your software suggestion.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

If you go on the web you will find every program being trashed on one site or another. SAS is recommended highly and is probably the best antispyware program going. Having said that, and you still would rather rely on whatever info you found on the web, you can try AVG Antispyware free. If you have Spybot's teatimer enabled that could be the problem with using Smitfraudfix. Not sure but try disabling the teatimer and run the Smitfraudfix again.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-s...htm#trustworthy
Spyware Warrior is a site dedicated to exposing rogue programs. Notice there is only 7 programs on their trustworthy list.

If you are familiar with McAfee Site Advisor then you will appreciate this report in the link below.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/superanti....com/downloads/

Edited by buddy215, 17 October 2007 - 08:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hello jali, I use and have used SAS for years it is an excellent program. It will also find most trojans and the serious ones at that. I and many members here use and recommend it.
Ther is a list of safe and free malware tools here
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users