Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Folders Are Safe To Delete?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hi
Once a week I run a computer cleaner to get rid of temp files etc etc. And once a month I run a defrag program and check disk program....sometimes more often if I have un-installed or deleted lots of things. However, after reading a newsletter from Download.com saying about this little program called "Remove Empty Directories" which finds empty folders etc...I gave it a go.....it found over 500 folders....
Now I did not delete anything as some of these folders were in Windows, Windows\system32
What I'd like to know is what can I safely delete? Are there any rules to deleting empty things?
I have always thought that these files have to be there as some programs..when you run them...write info in them and delete this info when you close it. I'm not sure if I am right or not but maybe somebody can say.
Thanks a lot

Running Windows XP Pro SP2 Pent 4 3Ghz 512MB RAM with only 80GB Hard Drive

Edited by English Teacher, 17 October 2007 - 04:41 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Well...don't believe that everything some people do on a system...is done because it serves any purpose :thumbsup:.

I was a computer newbie back in 1996 (small hard drives, small RAM, limited capabilities compared to today) and I never worried or fooled with empty directories then...nor do I today.

If you are a user who runs chkdsk, defrags, has a decent AV program that is current, has a couple of reliable malware programs current, has a firewall active...and you've updated and run all these things and feel that your system is in good shape...then I suppose it's OK to worry about deleting files and directories that some program might be looking for. If you cannot find anything better to do :flowers:.

I don't know of a single instance where an empty directory ever caused a system malfunction.

Louis

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

Have to agree with Louis on this one> I will not use any third party program to "clean" my PC. All I do is run from windows accessories is disk clean up from time to time.
MCP
MSDST

#4 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,,

Equally to go along with Hamluis, If it aint broke, why fix it ?

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

I just wanted to try and make the computer faster. I have heard that so many unused files etc can slow a computer down. Also when you run the Anti-virus or anti-spyware programs.
Anyway thanks for your help!!
PS yes My computer is all up to date.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

I would never trust an application to correctly identify items or files or folders to delete. If you do elect to use this application, then make sure you review what it recommends, and delete only folders that you know are not important; the amount of space you might save is minimal, and the damage to your OS or to other applications could be significant.
Granted folders take some space, and your AV and AS will have to run through them from time to time, but you seem to be taking care of the major impediments through routine maintenance. If you have some spare time, you can certainly remove empty folders manually by cruising "safe areas" in Explorer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

*.tmp,*.chk,~*.*
I occasionally search for and delete the above files, as well as empty the Prefetch folder in Windows.
Emptying the Prefetch will slow your system down temporarily. Also run CCleaner Slim (English only,
no Yahoo Toolbar) and delete everything except Windows Log Files (which deleting has never caused a
problem in the past) and usually don't delete anything in the Advanced section. CCleaner will also clean
the registry and backup anything deleted from it to replace if it causes problems. I guess I do this out of
habit, from the days of using HDDs 6GB and smaller. If you do go to far it is nice to have a backup of
your system on a separate HDD in case things do go wrong, as system restore isn't always amicable.

For speed I keep startups/autoruns to a minimum, only Windows programs, the firewall, and the anti-virus
run at startup, and probably most importantly, upgrade RAM to the maximum the system will allow.

I've had log files from Internet Security Suites grow to over 1GB, and deleted them from Application Data
folders. Back when we ran AOL software it dumped empty hidden folders onto the hard drive every time
it was used. Sure made a lot of mistakes along the way, but learned. And like the man said, "If it ain't broke..."
Bug
ps : i never download anything from softpedia or download, just a personal preference i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users