Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Need Some Clarification

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hey guys, I just need some clarification.

I have a Pioneer DVD slot drive on my pc (IDE) and a Pioneer 18x DVD writer (IDE). Some might say why dont you just have one drive, well I have my reasons but that's not the issue. Thirdly I have also have a HDD that is also IDE.

My motherboard supports only two IDE devices. I currently have the HDD and the Pioneer DVD writer setup via the IDE connection, which leaves the Pioneer reader useless. I have 8-10 SATA connections on the mobo, and have just found an adaptor on ebay. Now today hasen't been a good day for me, everything has gone wrong but am I right in thinking if the adaptor sits on the IDE connector on the mobo, where does my Pioneer reader plug in?

I can see the power cable, straightforward.
I can see the SATA cable and where that goes.
Unless the adaptor fits onto the rear fo the Pioneer reader via the IDE connector?

Anyhow its late for me, I hope you can understand this waffle, look forward to you putting me right! :thumbsup:
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

From the looks of it, it plugs into your SATA port, and then you need an IDE cable, to plug it into your Pioneer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

You have primary and secondary ide support on you mobo? If so you can support up to 4 ide devices, 2 masters and 2 slaves.

If you have sata interfaces on your mobo you should be utilizing them, get yourself a sata hdd and you will get noticeably faster transfer rates.

It's a good idea to use the 80-pin ide cables too, so you don't get losses in tranfer rates when using master and slaved devices concurrently.
music, music music...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

I was looking at this one. It plugs into the back of your drive, then the sata cable connects to it;
http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp
I noticed this disclaimer at the bottom of the page:
"Some DVD burner drives are not properly recognized when using this device. For optical drives it is recommended that a PCI IDE controller card be used instead of this adapter."
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:07 PM

:thumbsup:-->
QUOTE(mike b @ Oct 17 2007, 09:03 PM) View Post
You have primary and secondary ide support on you mobo? If so you can support up to 4 ide devices, 2 masters and 2 slaves.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Unless he is saying that he only has one ide connection on the systemboard?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

That type of adapter connects to the IDE device and then connects to the SATA header.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:45 AM

dc3 >> thats what I thought. My mobo is Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H.

JohnWho>> I do have only one IDE connection, sorry I didn't clarify that!

As far as purchasing new hardware, I want to avoid that, as i've already spent enough on hardware + I'm happy with the setup I already have.

Cheers for the help guys, I've purchased the adaptor so we'll see what happens!
Posted Image

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:38 AM

thank goodness you have an nvidia chipset that supports your one ide properly, unlike Intel which has shoved it off to the jmicron PITA one. Put both optical drives on the pata, use the adapter for the hard drive, if it will work, many ebay items are a bad idea. A pci ide controller card for a hard drive would be a better idea.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

Cheers Chewy, will report back on the outcome.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users