Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Computer Lag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Hey, I've noticed my computer started to lag more and more, and I don't know what's wrong. I've run my anti-virus, my anti-spyware, I have a firewall, I've run defrag, and disk cleanup, and I've deleted all the programs I don't use, yet the problem still persists. I've also noticed an odd folder recently that's shown up on my hard drive, where it lists the other normal folders like Program Files and such. This one's called '93a25b1aff81f7d3711982dd' and it contains a text document called 'msxml4-KB927978-enu'. I could be over-reacting but that doesn't look like a normal folder name. There's also something called avg7qt that's a NeroShowTime.Files7.dat file, so I figure it's from when I had Nero installed on my computer, but I uninstalled that program a while ago, so is it safe to delete? I've also noticed that when I shut down something starting with 'IeShaZ' shuts down too. I ran Disk Cleanup about a week ago and it mentioned that some of the system files had been replaced, unfortunately I couldn't find the restore disk, and I said to leave it alone but then this started happening. What's going on?!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of complaints about this "oddly named folder".

msxml4-KB927978-enu is related to Microsoft Security Update for MXML Core Services 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

The setup will create folders named with long random alpha/numeric characters (79f142e5e9e574d23954) which it should cleanup when done. Sometimes the cleanup doesn't do what its supposed to do.

If KB927978 was properly installed, it should show in Add/Remove programs.

Now could you be more specific as to what you mean by "computer lag" and when that lag occurs (startup, opening a program, playing games, etc).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,992 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

Relating to the IeShaz thing, here is a post to another topic.
QUOTE:
This is my first post here I hope it helps some of you. I searched for the solution to the ieshaz.... as well but couldn't figure it out until tonight. If you can believe it, it was AOL software. I know they only write top of the line software that never messes up so it just must have been my computer lol. I recently installed AIM 6.0 and when I went to shut my computer off a couple days later I first noticed the problem. After uninstalling AIM 6.0 and going back to the older simpler better version of 5.9 I am no longer having the problem. AOL should just quit, I remember that for two versions of the old school AOL software the setup always read "Pleasa Wait." So I guess the one solution to this problem is to remove AOL software.
The entire post can bel found in link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t76897.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:41 AM

Like I said, when I ran disk cleanup a couple days ago, it said some of the system files had been replaced, and it asked if I wanted to use a restore disc to fix it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it so I told it to leave alone. About the lag, it's not too bad at startup. I opened up the utility menu to change what ran at startup but it didn't run much faster, and I ended up screwing up my keyboard so I put it back on default. It seems to lag a lot when I'm opening programs but mostly when I run one of my games, especially lately. I'm not sure if it's the game or my computer but I think my computer is just compounding the problem. My system is more than enough for the requirements so I don't think that's it and I clean off the temp files with disk cleanup so that they don't clutter up the memory...So what I'm wondering is, is it the game or my computer or both, and is there any way to make my computer run faster, even when I'm not running the game? Besides basic maintenance like defrag, etc.
Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

Depending on the game, your issues could be related to your video card.

AGP cards are designed specifically for graphic cards and you probably should use that if your into gaming and you have an open AGP slot. AGP is faster than a PCI slot but there are good PCI graphic cards if that is not an option. However, before doing that make sure you have the latest version of the drivers for your current video card. The latest drivers are usually available for free download from the manufacturer's Web site.

10 things to know before buying a video card

#6 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

Then what's making my task manager do this? Is it the altered system files?
Posted Image

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

If you cannot see any tabs in Task Manager, then that means it is running in "kiosk mode" (aka presentation mode) which does not show the tabs or menus at the top. Sometimes this is occurs accidentially. To get it back to normal mode, open Task Manager and double-click anywhere within the blank (open) border area to reveal the tabs.

If you don't know what some of your processes are, search the name using Google, BC's File Database, File Research Center or the Process ID Database.

You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

#8 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, I was wondering why it was doing that. My computer's still running a little slow but I don't think it's too serious. ^_^
Posted Image

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

Your welcome.