Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages Galore...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well about a month or so back I was having issues with my computer. Constant blue screens of death, and eventually I started up the computer and it said i needed to repair windows. So after I put in my xp CD (which is not an actual xp cd its a reinstallation cd), I played around trying to figure out how to repair but gave up for the day. Next day the computer started up seeing as how I didnt do anything I was a little confused, upon startup I get 3 messages stating I have new hardware and I need to install them which I can't because I don't even know what the things are, so I hit cancel on all 3. Next I normally get a RUNDLL.EXE bad image error. All that went away a few weeks ago when I came on and asked but I stopped using the computer because I was tired of all the BS but now I have returned to it and along with those problems more have surfaced. I now get a message saying my system doesnt meet the quota or something like that and it wont start up under my name it starts up under a guest. When I got on I got an Error C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll "Insufficient system resources" so I hit okay and when I ran AVG antivirus it stops after 30 seconds at most and says Something bad happened with the program and needed to close.

What is wrong with my baby and how F***ed am I?

Running XP pro

UPDATE: started it again and heres whats new, first error "dumprep.exe application error, The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d)."

Also the 3 new hardware items are, SM Bus controller, Other PCI Bridge Device, and PCI memory controller. When I click auto install a yellow questionmark comes up.

Edited by darkside701, 17 October 2007 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

I guess that I don't understand.

If your system was so screwed up before that you contemplated a clean install using the Recovery/Reinstall CD...and the situation has not changed for the better...what happened to your resolve to do the reinstall thing?

And, unless something has changed recently...reinstall CDs are not provided to facilitate repair installs of XP. They are provided to wipe the slate clean, to go back to the first inning, etc.

If you want to do a repair install AND you have a valid license, I suggest either borrowing, copying, buying, etc. a MS OEM XP CD (they are the cheapest and probably the most abundant) and using that plus your valid license to do a repair install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2007 - 10:27 AM.

#3 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

well xp pro came pre installed on my laptop awhile back so I used the reinstall cd and the cd key for the laptop to install windows on my desktop, so im not sure what constitutes valid exactly. As far as repairing goes I was basically trying to figure out if anyone had any other ideas before I try to do that again.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

As Hamluis said, "reinstall CDs are not provided to facilitate repair installs of XP. They are provided to wipe the slate clean". That also means drivers. So you just installed (partially) laptop drivers on your desktop, and they're obviously not compatible. You need the restore CD's and drivers CD for the desktop. Whether you can download the drivers for the desk top and get it to run, is a crap shoot
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

okay so basically I need to get an actual xp cd. Just out of curiosity vista is incredibly expensive but if you are upgrading it costs a little less, so if I got the upgrade version of vista would that fix my problems as well?

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:55 AM

Well, it should solve your problems as you will do a complete re-install with a new OS so there won't be anything left on the computer....but watch out with Vista because even though Vista has been on the market for a while now....there are still many programs which will not work properly...if at all.
My borther-in-law had Vista on his desktop and several of his programs wouldn't run or gave the BSOD...he went back to XP Pro and everything was OK

Edited by English Teacher, 18 October 2007 - 02:56 AM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

Unless your laptop came VISTA compatible, I wouldn't do it. Besides program compatibility there are a lot of driver issues. Even then, I'd get a full install not an upgrade. There's always have been problems with upgrades and Windows
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

Okay thanks for the advice, I have one more thing for you. I have been looking at xp pro prices and they seem to range from $20-$299 twenty seems a little low and 299 is ridiculous. Most of them however seem to range from around $100-150. So basically what I am trying to figure out is what I should look to pay for a copy I mean $20 would be nice but it sounds too good to be true.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

I wouldn't expect a legitimate OEM CD for under $100
Prices have gone up a little since everyone wants to downgrade from VISTA
Mark
http://www.viosoftware.com/
Mark
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

The cheapest way to get a copy of your OS is to order a copy of the restore CD from the computer manufacturer. About $20 and you'll have a legitimate copy to use
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Since my cd was for a laptop if I ordered the restore cd from dell would that still have the laptop driver issue like garmanma had said?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users