Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe To Disable Paging File?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rustendrage

Rustendrage

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hi all. :thumbsup:

Recently I ran out of space on my 40 gb HDD on both partitions.So I decided to look at the files who were the culprits in hogging disk space and found that the file called "pagefile.sys" existed on both partitions occupying 2 Gb on each.Deleting this would free up 1/10 of my HDD space right thre!! :flowers: .

So,would it be safe to delete the paging file.??

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP
Antivirus Software: Avast 4.7 Free edition
Firewall: Comodo Firewall
Computer: Custom-made
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz 400 Mhz FSB
Motherboard: Intel[Dunno the model no.]
Ram: 1 Gb DDR RAM @ 400 Mhz
Storage: 40 Gb Seagate @ 7200 rpm
Video Card: 64 mb onboard Intel 845g
Soundcard: Onboard Soundmax
Power Supply: Powersafe 400w
Case: No idea
Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

"You will never walk alone"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

Did you by chance try tweaking the performance of your system by moving the page file and forget to delete the original one? Are they exactly the same?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

The attachment shows the settings I use with 1 gig of ram. The paging file is by default set on the boot drive -- but some people do use tweaks to move it to another drive, allegedly for performance reasons.

You need a paging file unless you have way more ram than you would ever come close to using. 1 gig is not enough to delete or disable all paging.

You can delete the file on the drive where it is not currently set. And you can modify the the size per the properties settings in the location indicated.

Attached Files

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

Isn't this the year to consider getting a larger hard drive :thumbsup:?

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

Using the feature that Rollin' Rog cited, you can restrict your pagefile to one drive/file only. I would suggest monitoring the use of your pagefile through the Performance tab of Task Manager - and then adjusting your pagefile to a size slightly larger than the maximum value that you see. I'd also advise setting the Custom settings for the same thing on both Max and Min - this saves a few resources as Windows doesn't have to mess around with the size in the background.

For starters, I'd also suggest that you set it at 1.5 times the amount of your physical RAM (a pagefile of 1.5 gB) - but you can reduce it as low as you want. Eventually, if your system needs the pagefile, it'll give you "Running low on virtual memory" errors - which is your sign to increase the pagefile. This presumes that there's no programs malfunctioning and hogging the pagefile after they're done with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rustendrage

Rustendrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

Did you by chance try tweaking the performance of your system by moving the page file and forget to delete the original one? Are they exactly the same?
Mark

Nope.I used individual pagefile settings for both drives.

The attachment shows the settings I use with 1 gig of ram. The paging file is by default set on the boot drive -- but some people do use tweaks to move it to another drive, allegedly for performance reasons.

You need a paging file unless you have way more ram than you would ever come close to using. 1 gig is not enough to delete or disable all paging.

You can delete the file on the drive where it is not currently set. And you can modify the the size per the properties settings in the location indicated.

I have windows installed in my in D: drive.So I guess it would be safe to disable it in the C: drive??After reading your reply,I set my pagefile size in D: drive to 768mb minimum-1536mb maximum.

Isn't this the year to consider getting a larger hard drive :trumpet: ?

Louis

I guess I am just too lazy to get a new drive. :flowers: .But really,this is the only time I have run out of space.Otherwise 40 gb is just fine for me.

Using the feature that Rollin' Rog cited, you can restrict your pagefile to one drive/file only. I would suggest monitoring the use of your pagefile through the Performance tab of Task Manager - and then adjusting your pagefile to a size slightly larger than the maximum value that you see. I'd also advise setting the Custom settings for the same thing on both Max and Min - this saves a few resources as Windows doesn't have to mess around with the size in the background.

For starters, I'd also suggest that you set it at 1.5 times the amount of your physical RAM (a pagefile of 1.5 gB) - but you can reduce it as low as you want. Eventually, if your system needs the pagefile, it'll give you "Running low on virtual memory" errors - which is your sign to increase the pagefile. This presumes that there's no programs malfunctioning and hogging the pagefile after they're done with it.

Thanks for that reply,oh great one from Southeastern CT, USA :thumbsup:
Task manager shows usage of pagefile at about 300 mb under normal conditions like when browsing,downloading stuff etc. with AV and firewall running in background.

Edited by Rustendrage, 18 October 2007 - 09:38 AM.

Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

"You will never walk alone"

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

Setting a minimum of 1 gig should be safe, I wouldn't limit the max tho, you can never forsee all possible scenarios.

Xp by default wants the size to be 1.5 x installed ram, with a gig and for someone who doesn't do heavy multitasking with dual cpu's or game, then setting the minimum lower should ok.

Having a swap file on a seperate partition on the same physical drive as the OS is not any faster.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users