Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problems With Ie7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mmartinez

mmartinez

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hello,

I had a trojan virus last week that RichieUK helped me remove. All is well now, no more pop-ups and Mozilla works great. The problem is with Internet Explorer. I am unable to connect to the internet. Every time I try to connect it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I launched Dial-a-Fix and still no luck. Next I ran the Windows diagnostic tool to scan my system. It failed the Network Adapters and IP Address sections.

I have Symantic Antivirus and Windows XP SP2.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi Mmartinez :flowers:

I read your other post that RichieUK helped you with. Let's try the following:

1) Update your antivirus definitions and antispyware definitions. Do NOT run any scans yet.

2) Download CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com and install the latest version - make sure you UNCHECK "Install Yahoo! toolbar" unless you want it. Do NOT run it yet.

3) Boot to SAFE MODE without networking (tap F8 when computer starts).

4) Now, open CCleaner. On the "Cleaner" tab on the left select the Windows tab. Check all that is there EXCEPT the Hotfix Uninstallers, do NOT check that. Then, select the Applications tab, check all that is there.

Now, click the OPTIONS tab then click Advanced. UNCHECK "Only delete files in temp folders older than 48 hours".

Back at the Cleaner tab, select "Run Cleaner". Please be patient while your computer is being cleaned of temp folders, history, etc. Close CCleaner when done.

5) Run a full antivirus scan of your system. Do the same for your antispyware. Delete everything it finds.

6) Reboot into normal mode.

7) Check your firewall settings and see if IE7 is somehow blocked with accessing the internet. If it is, please allow it as your previous infections may have changed this setting.

8) Try IE7 now. If it still doesn't work read on.

9) Check your router to see if there is an update for the firmware...please update if need be. Try IE7 again. If no joy, read on.

10) Disable all your realtime protection including your firewall, antivirus, antispyware and any Spy Sweeper shields you have. Try accessing IE7 now. If it works, then re-enable each protection mode one at a time to find a culprit. Once you find the culprit try uninstalling & re-installing the application. For Norton, make sure you use the removal tool found here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

and then re-install Norton.

11) After all these steps, if you still cannot access the internet using Internet Explorer, try and repair install of XP. If you don't have the CD then try the instructions in this link:
http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installa...i_need_one.html

Make sure you backup all your data, emails, files etc. before doing this, just in case. You will need to re-install all your Windows Updates and you will be back to IE6. Make sure IE6 works then upgrade to IE7.

You may also want to download this "lifesaving" tool to back up your registry in case of problems.

ERUNT: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Use the LEFT column and download the program. Install and run. There is an excellent readme file for this program in the install package to help you.

Good luck, let me know how it turned out. :thumbsup:

#3 mmartinez

mmartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

Hello,
I tried steps 1-10 without luck. I have a wireless connection, so I skipped number 9. I am confused about number 11. How do I repair install XP? What do you mean? Thanks for your help.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

Try a few other things:

1) Log-on using another user account or the built-in "Administrator" account (username) and see if you can access the internet with IE7. If you CAN, then there is something wrong in the registry that prevents your account from accessing IE7. Post your problem in the appropriate forum for expert help. Go through each user account including the Administrator account

2) Boot into Safe Mode WITH Networking support which allows internet access. Try accessing IE7. Can you get in? If you CAN, then I would suspect a faulty service or driver related to IE7 that is only loaded in normal mode.

In either case, regardless of the outcome, check the Event Viewer (from the Start Menu - Programs -Administrative Tools) for any errors and note as much information as possible and post back.

If all else fails or you don't think it's worth the effort, then do a repair install of XP.

A repair install basically means you are "overwriting" the current XP installation with a clean one which will ultimately wipe out any "bad files" or registry enteries. You will lose your IE7 installation and it will be replaced by IE6. You will also lose all your Windows Updates, so you will have to reinstall them...probably close to 70 or more!! :flowers: Fortunately all your programs and data outside the Windows folder will remain intact.

See here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#5 mmartinez

mmartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hello,

I booted my computer in safe mode with networking, and logged into the administrator account. IE7 worked fine. So then I logged in using my own account and IE7 also worked! It does not work when I am in normal mode. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hey! I'm glad we narrowed it down a little bit. :thumbsup:
So something that is loaded in Normal mode causes your IE7 access to the internet to be non-existent.

I'm not sure what to do next.....anyone else?? :trumpet:

Good luck.
:flowers:

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hi mmartinez! :thumbsup:

Try this...don't know if it will work.
http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

The mystery is that you can access using Firefox no problem but not IE.

Make a registry backup just in case, there is an option for that in the program.

Let me know. :flowers:

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

It's me again. :flowers:
Here's an excellent tutorial with the Winsock XP fix with links for troubleshooting and support articles. :thumbsup:
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/security/spyware/WinFix/

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

I had a similar problem on my laptop running IE7 and XP I uninstalled IE and downloaded it again reinstalled and all fixed. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx
MCP
MSDST

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

ok well since it worked in safe mode and not normal mode - method of elimination!

in normal boot mode - left click on start>run and type "msconfig" (without quotes)

left click on the startup tab to the right

uncheck *everything* - reeboot - can you browse the internet?

if not - go back into msconfig, this time click on services oppose to startup, again, uncheck everything (unchecking services will cause...most likely a fair bit of stuff on your computer to not work)

when you get to a stage of it working, re-enable things 1-by-1 till you find the culprit!(is a time-hungry process, but you will get it in the end =))

goodluck
=)

#11 mmartinez

mmartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi there,

Still no luck with IE :thumbsup:

I downloaded WinSock XP Fix and ran it. Still could not access IE. I followed one of the suggestions mentioned about uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling it. So I uninstalled IE7 and now I have IE6. It still does not work. I did what 4ward_tristan suggested, ran msconfig, unchecked everything under startup and still could not access internet with IE. I was a bit confused with the second step under that post.

Thanks,
Monica

#12 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Geez, I thought my suggestion would work :thumbsup:

I would try another forum, probably the Web Browsing/Email & other Internet Applications
Some of the moderators are more experienced in certain areas so you might get more intuitive suggestions. Find the link here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/

Best of luck to you. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users