Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Costco Comming To Oz.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:47 AM

Saw on TV here,This Store Chain is about to flood Australia with outlets.Wondering what sort of a shopping experience one can expect,and are these Stores popular in the US.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:52 AM

Watch out for forklifts! Costco is a member only chain here, my wife is a member, and I still can't break her of the habit of shopping for a family of seven. They have some really great deals if you need larger quantities.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for that 'oldf@rt'. Just heard on another TV station,it will be Membership only, with an annual fee of 50 Dollars AUS.
I'm willing to dodge Forklifts, if we can save on the shocking cost of Food and Consumables here.Sounds like a good thing.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

You can easily save the Membership fee in just one or two visits since their prices are such that buying in larger quantities can save a lot of money.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

The idea sounds awesome!

Will you be able to actually see the prices and stuff before you join though?
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

They have some really great prices on things. But you will buy in bulk. You can see pricing at their site.
http://www.costco.com/Home.aspx?cm_mmc=Goo...ativeC-_-Costco
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Rainbow32

Rainbow32

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

The idea sounds awesome!

Will you be able to actually see the prices and stuff before you join though?

You have to show your membership card at the door to get in, but you can always say I'm with them and point to someone in front of you to gain entrance and check things out.
If you like to eat the same stuff for a week it's alright.
Actually in my market, S. Cal., Costco has lost market share in the past several years, as much as 20% depending on which trade magazine you reference.
The big thing now is organic's and many of the major markets here has changed their focus to that.

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Often, CostCo when opening a new outlet, will give time limited - free memberships to allow one to check out the place.

As boopme said above, if you can buy in bulk many items, you'll quickly recoup the membership fee.

I'm aware of several families that got together to share a membership cost. The card holder does the shopping for all, and is compensated for their time, mileage, etc. A good deal for all.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

My daughter's brother-in-law works there. As with any other store, some of there prices can be beat but there are a lot of good deals. Employee discount's a plus
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

Why I mentioned food, is because the reporter said, they will be selling Food and Groceries here,as well, and be in direct competition to our 3 major food chains.Can only hope a bit of new competition will help bring prices back, to a sensible level.Thanks for all the info everybody. :thumbsup:

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

As mentioned, you can find some good deals at Costco. But the best thing to do is be aware of prices of items in other stores. Example-if you like a certain vegetable, Costco may have that item in a pack of 3 or 6 or however many. Look at the price per unit-it may be cheaper to buy the same quantity someplace else, especially if it's the store brand. We don't have a Costco where I live, but we do have a Sam's. Mostly I buy paper goods, dishwashing detergent, and laundry soap in bulk at Sam's. And soon I may be buying diapers in bulk-my daughter had her first child today. She's staying with me until her husband comes home from deployment, and it may be that diapers in bulk are a better deal. I'll have to check the prices at other stores, then decide which way to go.

#12 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:31 AM

They have some really great prices on things. But you will buy in bulk. You can see pricing at their site.
http://www.costco.com/Home.aspx?cm_mmc=Goo...ativeC-_-Costco

Coolies. Will check out the site, thanks.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

As mentioned, you can find some good deals at Costco. But the best thing to do is be aware of prices of items in other stores. Example-if you like a certain vegetable, Costco may have that item in a pack of 3 or 6 or however many. Look at the price per unit-it may be cheaper to buy the same quantity someplace else, especially if it's the store brand. We don't have a Costco where I live, but we do have a Sam's. Mostly I buy paper goods, dishwashing detergent, and laundry soap in bulk at Sam's. And soon I may be buying diapers in bulk-my daughter had her first child today. She's staying with me until her husband comes home from deployment, and it may be that diapers in bulk are a better deal. I'll have to check the prices at other stores, then decide which way to go.

Just make sure the diapers are compatible with said baby before buying bulk. Daughter learned the hard way
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users