Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burning Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:03 AM

Help Needed,
I recently upgraded to Windows XP and am trying to burn some cds from albums I've stored on my hard drive. All of the albums are stored on the hard drive in wma lossless format. I stored the albums using Windows Media Player 11 rip function. When I try to make a mix cd of songs from various albums the cd gets burned in the wma format and not the cda format my car and home player can read. I have two cd recorders. One is a LITE-ON LTR 52246S and the other is a NU CDRW/DVD DBW521. I was using Nero Express from Nero 7 to burn cds although I get the same results when I try to burn using Media Player on either recorder. Could someone PLEASE explain to me what I'm doing wrong and show me how to burn them in cda format? Then I can play them on my home cd player as well as in my car. I would be extremely grateful.
TQUAD

Edited by TQUAD, 17 October 2007 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Yes.

WMP uses a proprietary format, which means...it's not necessarily compatible with anything other than a device which reads .wmv or .wma files. There are other programs which can read those files, but it's not because .wma or .wmv makes it easy :thumbsup:.

The .mp3 format is not a proprietary format and is capable of being read by various players and programs easily.

Microsoft makes it easy to convert from .mp3 to .wma, but not from .wma to .mp3.

And .cda files are just the recorded files on a CD. They cannot be copied to a system, they must be ripped from the CD and converted to a given music/file format.

In essence, you should have ripped the music, using just about any other player other than WMP (MusicMatch, WinAmp, etc.) and you would have had your files in .mp3 format.

There are programs that purport to convert from .wma to .mp3, but I haven't tried any.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...a+files+to+.mp3

Louis

#3 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

Louis,
Thanks for the explanation. As I understand you, it is impossible to get cda files onto your hard drive.
I also presume that players other than wmp will rip albums to your drive. That's great. Sadly, I'm trying desperately to avoid mp3 format. I'm trying to get as close to one-to-one type copies as I can. They are going to be played on a 45,000.00 sound system and mp3's are not full quality. Playing mp3's on a 45k sound system is a little like shooting yourself in the foot when you go hunting or attending the philharmonic and hearing a twenty dollar boom box on stage playing metal. You definitely notice the difference. If I am burning from direct copies of the original album, what if anything, will yield the highest quality results?, or is everything programmed around mp3's? If that is the case which formats will give the best quality as well as compatability? Any help will be great.
Thanks again,
TQUAD

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

I know less about recording than anyone. I offer this info because I've heard many good things about it and it could possibly help in the future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC
http://flac.sourceforge.net/
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 17 October 2007 - 11:41 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

few cd's are good enough to need the highest quality like a wave extraction, there's nothing wrong with doing a full wave tho, better have lots of hard drive space

wma is a lossy compression anyway

I saw some tests done with wma and mp3 on some really professional equipment, a 192k mp3 was roughly quivalent to a 128k wma

at 320k the mp3 could not be distinguished from the original cd on any equipment

cda's are just a shortcut file system for waves on the cd

get the basics down first

Edited by DaChew, 17 October 2007 - 12:00 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

DaChew,
Thanks for the advice or criticism, whichever it was. I haven't had any experience with wave's but it would seem to me once you eliminate all the compression and frequency response manipulations zeros and ones should be the same whether on a cda file or a wave file. When you say cds are just a shortcut for waves, shouldn't they be the same if the read and write rates are equal?
Anyway, I am not looking for an arguement or debate on cda vs mp3's. I only know how bad the mp3's I've heard sound on my equipment. I'm only looking for the best way or program to store standard cds on my hard drive so I am able to mix tracks from different cds and burn them to a cdr disc and have it compatible and high quality.
All the 192k mp3's I've heard sound pretty bad, just like all the wma's that I have on my pc do right now. They're not being played on little pc speakers. The 256k and 320k mp3's are supposed to be as close to standard audio cds as possible but it is still compressed and frequency limited.
What would you suggest I use to extract standard audio cds to my hd with? Disc space is no problem.
I have at least 50 Gig to work with for as many audio cds as it will hold. So far I've tried using Nero 7 but it won't allow me to rip to the hd, only burn or copy to another cd. The only way I've been able to rip to my hd is by using Windows Media Player, which, as you say, is real lousy. Even worse, it only burns in wma format. That just won't do. There must be a better way to copy standard audio cds to my hdd. Any ideas and or instructions will be very helpful.
Thanks for the critique.
TQUAD

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

I was tring to educate and clarify the "confused" post you made, the original rippers like djpower etc(high dollar professional tools) all worked with wave ripping.

a simple google search will yield many tools for such

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pws...cds&spell=1

old standard programs like cooledit(bought by adobe) always convert the mp3's back to wave to do the heavy duty editing

if size is no object use waves, your compilations will be bit identical to the originals

the club I work with has about $100,000 worth of audio equipment(in a constant state of repair) and 192K mp3's sound fine on our denon dual deck

50 gigs will only hold about 100 albums, we deal with any where from 10-20K tracks

I digitiized 10K karaoke titles, that was 63 gigs

an assoicate has 300 gigs of compressed files

Edited by DaChew, 17 October 2007 - 08:54 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users