Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What’s The Longest You Have Gone…?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:27 PM

just had a conversation with some friends
And the subject of how long they leave their
Computer running for, produced some surprising
Answers, so I was just wondering about you guy’s
Here , what’s the longest you have gone before you
re booted your home desk top computer …?

Mine is 14 hours …

So What’s the longest you have gone…?

Thanks ........... Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

I had my Computer running 24/7 Folding (see SIG) till a week ago.My PC died and had to rehash.Now, I would say, 18hrs a day.

#3 Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

At one time I left my computer on 24/7, now it's only on when I'm using it. At the most, say 7 hours a day. And that's only on my days off... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

my pc runs 24/7 since i'm constantly downloading with it and because i host game servers on it (my server pc died and i haven't bothered repairing it yet).

as for how long it (and previous PCs) have gone? hmmm....too long to remember exact dates, but months, many, many months. pretty much the only thing that forces a reboot is a power outage or hardware upgrade.

Edited by zaroba, 17 October 2007 - 01:31 AM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

#5 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,153 posts
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

You can turn a computer off? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

Only reboot desktop when something is going a bit haywire, maybe once a week. The laptop only reboots after updates. Gotta keep that F@H rolling, LOL.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:46 AM

My Compaq XP1000 has been up for over 1 year 6 months, Windows XP boxes last about a month and then have to be restarted because of windows updates.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:11 AM

The longest time my personal XP box has been up? 36 hours. My PC's in my room and I can't sleep with it on.

The three Ubuntu machines that I administer downstairs have been rebooted perhaps 3 times each this year.

I could probably leave my XP box up for a while, I've just never really tried it. I mean, unless you're running a server or doing something like f@h then I don't really see the point of leaving it on.

#9 Platypus

• 13,243 posts
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

I have no reason to run a system for long periods now. The longest I ran a Windows 98 system was 9 days at continuous 100% CPU utilisation when I was running the United Devices client, processing a particularly huge work unit.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

The longest time my PC was turned on was 8 hours!
I don't want to hurt the poor thing. :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#11 JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

Just a frendly recommendation -

if you are going to leave your PC on for a long time, you should have a good Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

In fact, some would say you shouldn't run a PC unless it is plugged into a good UPS.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,440 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Other than for maintenance or vacations,mone is always on...And yes I also have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

Currently mine get rebooted at least twice a day but back when I was running FC6 it's longest uptime was 60 days (no kernel upgrades really helped that one) Once I get another PC my times should increase again (that and once Ubuntu 7.10 gets settled in good, having almost daily updates at this point)

BTW both the Ubuntu and Windows Sides of this PC run FAH at roughly 14hr/10hr (Linux/Windows) per day. My PC never gets truly turned off.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 17 October 2007 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#14 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

I reboot about once every week or two (depends on Windows Updates) and the system has been running since January (Vista). My previous XP system was on for many years with only sporadic rebooting (I wasn't real good about Windows Updates then).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Generally reboot once a month (second Tuesday of the month for some reason). Sporadic crashes sometimes interfere. I guess two months is about the longest uptime I've had. At the moment I'm going at eight days and six hours.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users