Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Failed D:i386\asms Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robusto

robusto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

When I was trying to install windows xp on a brand new machine (it is a legitimate copy from the msdn), I get this error message after the partitioning and copying is done and it goes onto installation: "installation failed d:i386\asms needed" I've never seen this error before in my few years of building new machines and reinstalling windows. I would appreciate any help and thanks in advance!

Edited by robusto, 16 October 2007 - 10:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:00 AM

Hi robusto, I had this error about a year ago and it turned out the cd/rom was on the way out but it could also be the cd itself may be corrupted.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

Most of the time, as Monty007 states, this error is caused by a damaged CD. Try cleaning the disk really well to see if this helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 robusto

robusto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

haha thanks everybody, yeah I have used 3 new cds to test this problem and it must be a cd-rom issue. My friend had suggested a cd drive error, but I thought that was incredibly strange since it happened at the same file every time. I'll try a new drive and see how that works.

UPDATE: I guess that didn't work =/ I had a SATA cd-rom drive then i took that out and put in a working IDE drive. Maybe the computer's cd-rom drive I used to burn the iso for windows is corrupt. I'll try making a new cd on another computer. Anyone have any suggestions? I checked the cd I've been using and it has the \i386\asms on it with the following folders:

/1
/2
/10
/52
/60
/70
/1000
/5100
/6000
/7000

Edited by robusto, 18 October 2007 - 02:18 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

Are you using the old CD to make the new copies? If so, it could be that the file is damaged enough that the error copies over also. Can you try another disk?

Sometimes you can copy the entire disk to your hard drive and run setup from there - that may be worth a try.

Also, did the installation fail on both the IDE and SATA drives?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 robusto

robusto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I made a brand new cd from our MSDN subscription. I will try to make a new cd on a new computer today. Maybe my iso was corrupt or my cd burner is faulty. I only have SATA hard drives and it's one of the new seagate form factors that are really slim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users