Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Start After Antivirus Update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darel

Darel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

I have an emachines desktop with an Intel Celeron D processor running Windows XP home. I have two hard drives in a master/slave configuration. I aso have Verizon Internet Security Suite. Two weeks ago VISS automatically downoaded an update and requested a resart, which I did. The computer would start up but lock as soon as VISS tried to automatically open. I started it in safe mode and ran msconfig to take it off the startup menu, and the computer ran fine. Once runnning, I would then manually open VISS and it would lock again. I uninstalled VISS and re-downloaded it and it seemed to work OK. Saturday I ran a virus scan and left the house for a while. When I came back the computer was off. Now, every time I try to start it the opening screen comes on (with the eMachines logo and tag lines that say "For Bios setup press..." and "For Boot Menu press..." Of course, pressing anything does nothing, including F8. The HD busy light will stay on for about a minute then go out for good. Fans running OK as is DVD drive.
If I put my recovery disk in it sounds like the drive is reading it for a few minutes but nothing will happen. I have also tried every combination of master and slave between my two hard drives (including running each drive individually) thinking it was a drive problem with no change.

Please help!

Darel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

Have you tried pressing F10 when the computer first boots and then accessing the recovery disk from there?
You could also try downloading a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (on anothe computer, of course) and try booting to it using the F10 command.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

I have tried both with no results. The computer just locks the minute the first boot screen comes on. I have even tried holding down the F10, F8 and F2 keys while pushing the power button. I do also have the HD utility on disk from a previous crash last year (hence the two hard drives) and nothing happens with the disk in.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

Try the system stripdown here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
You'll probably have to start at Step 5 since you can't get anything to boot - but the long and the short of it is that, if you strip it down, it's gotta be one of the things that's left that is the problem. If it starts working after stripping it down, then it's one of the things that you took off that is the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Thank you so much! I did the stripdown and the problem is a HP photo printer I got last Christmas, which for some reason must have been conflicting with the antivirus program, or perhaps it's just coincidence. as soon as I unplugged everything it started responding so I began adding things and when I added the printer it locked back up. I'm back on my computer now. So, should I head to the hardware section here to find out how to fix my printer? Uninstall/reinstall it?

Thanks again!

Darel

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:54 AM

There's 2 possibilities here: Hardware or Software.

The hardware "fix" is to try another HP printer - a bit too expensive to try on a whim. Other hardware "fixes" involve problems with the motherboard (even more expensive).

So, the software fix is to completely uninstall the HP stuff from your system. Then visit the HP support website and search for the uninstall utility for your printer. Once you've used the uninstall utility - download new software from the HP website (don't use the CD that came with the printer) and install it. Plug the printer back in after this and see if this fixed it. If it did, then all's well - if not, then it's time to start the hardware "fix" above :thumbsup:

EDIT: Another thought occurred to me as I was pressing the Add Reply button - have you tried connecting the printer to different ports on the system - and does it lock up on each of them or not?

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2007 - 06:56 AM.

#7 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

I did not try it on other ports. If it doesn't lock them up, then something's wrong with the motherboard and where it interfaces with that port? No big deal if it is, just don't use that port.

After that I'll US/RIS and try it again...

Thanks again!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

I've had a few issues with ports gone bad recently, that's why I suggested trying other ports. It's not a big deal unless 1) there's not enough ports left or 2) the bad port messes with the rest of the system. I'd suspect that 2) isn't the case here since the problem seems limited to the printer.

FWIW - you could try another USB device in that port to see if it works (such as a flash drive or a digital camera if you have one handy). That can serve to confirm that the port is functional.

It also could be the cable from the printer to the computer - try another one of those if you've got one handy.

#9 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

It's the printer. Hopefully it's still under warranty.

But, at least my computer is A-OK. Thanks for all your help!

Darel

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:26 AM

Glad to here that you've tracked the problem down. I hope you can get it fixed as a warranty item!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users