Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems Connecting To The Internet Via Router.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 castian

castian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

My mom and I each have a computer, so we were using a wireless network to use the internet. Well, my computer died awhile ago, so I had to replace it, and, instead of the horrible wireless connection I had, I decided to run an ethernet cord downstairs into the new router we bought. This router isn't wireless. However, I'm still having no luck connecting to the internet. All cords have been tested and do work, it's just that my computer doesn't detect any connections. I'm using Linux, and my mom is using Windows XP. I have Ubuntu on my computer. My mom has Windows Xp. Her computer detects a connection, but when she tries to set up a home network, she encounters and error because I'm not using Windows. I'm pretty sure there's a way around this, but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

you will have to use SAMBA shares to have a network. As for connecting to the internet through a router make sure that your wireless card is properly detected and then try to ping the router. The default IP address for the router should be in the paperwork that came with the router. If you need help in finding it just ask.

Posted Image

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

The Operating system shouldn't matter. We need to know more about your network, ie: how's it set up? Does it come from the wall to a modem or wireless modem, then to the router and then to the computers or is it different? In Ubuntu, have you checked your network settings through the System/Administration/Network? Let's start witht the basics. I can help you with the hard wire, and there are plenty here who can help you with the wireless, but we need some specific details.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users