Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rescue And Recovery Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kevsgirl

kevsgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi. I am new here - hello to all! Search did not return results for my issue, so forgive me if I have posted incorrectly.

I am running xp pro (on IBM T41 laptop - warranty expired) and believe my system has been hacked. I do not have the recovery disks, as they are not shipped with the system. The rescue and recovery is on unusable partition. I won't give the gory details as of yet - but need help in restoring my system back to factory details. Here are my steps:
At reboot access Rescue and Recovery > click on Restore your system > Restore hard drive to original factory state > Do not save any files > Reformat entire disk back to factory state > Click on accept terms and get the following error:
Recov32 - The directory name is invalid.
I can see the Product Recovery window behind this error with hour glass and Processing. Please wait...
Click OK to error and get Product Recovery window: Product Recovery failed the convertion phase. Click OK and I am back to Rescue and Recovery.

I don't know where to go from here. At this point 'dead in the water'. I don't want to create recovery disks from C:\I386 folder, as I believe windows has been hacked.

Any suggestions?

Adriana in NJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Welcome to BC kevsgirl

First off, what makes you believe your system has been hacked? Could you provide some specific information in regards to this?

Recovery partitions may only work with a start-up floppy disk or the user may be prompted immediately after the "Out Of Box Experience" (OOBE) to create backup CD-R disks for the software on the hard drive image for future use. Once the CD's are made, the Operating System, Drivers, or Applications can be reinstalled using the files on the hard drive or the backup CDs.

According to IBM's Hidden Partition on TP's[/color], you should have a received a user guide with your laptop. Are you following those instructions?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hello. Thank you for replying.

The problems with my system: extremely slow, at times hard drive crunching along when I'm not running anything, too many temp/tmp files being created that am unable to delete. There are instances when I can see Documents and Settings folders that shouldn't be there (other than Administrator, All users, etc. I can't see them when I explore my computer.

Live update runs daily for symantec anti-virus and zone labs and have scanned system while in 'safe mode' - no issues found.

The most profound problem, is that I am unable to run the rescue & recovery from the 'hidden partition' (as you mentioned). Get the Recov32 error. Could this possibly be issue with MBR?

Forgive me for not having exact details - they were stored (w/screen shots) on CD and have been unable to locate it :thumbsup:
I know there is something out of the ordinary, just like you know when there's something not right with the car you drive.
I can forward logs if you advise what you'd like to see.

Any assistance will most certainly be GREATLY appreciated :flowers:

Thanks again,
Adriana*

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

I think you should check with IBM Technical Support. ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and other PC products are products of Lenovo. They get inquiries on a daily basis and can offer some more insght. They already may have a solution to this issue.

Edited by quietman7, 17 October 2007 - 12:51 PM.

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

Have already contacted IBM support. There answer was to purchase recovery disks. Guess I will have to.

I do appreciate your help.

Have a great evening!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Your welcome and good luck.