Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Dead?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 potsofclay

potsofclay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

I have a Gateway laptop (only a few years old) that starting having a few blue screens and would shut down and restart on its own. I tried to run spybot, etc. and it would keep coming up with error messages...

I tried to go back to a restore point and it wouldn't let me.

I tried to restore the computer completely by doing a system restore and it wouldn't let me.

I tried to install XP on it again and to reformat the hard drive and it wouldn't let me. It stated doing it until about 44% and then it shut down.

Now I can't get it to BIOS, DOS, or even safe mode.

I turn the power on and it has a black screen, but I can hear the cd-rom drive spinning a little and the hard drive going...

I tried taking the battery out and then replacing it, and tried running it with AC, butnothing happens...

WHAT TO DO?!

thanks guys...

Pots

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Sounds like either your XP CD is damaged, or there's a hardware issue with the laptop. You can check the hard drive with a bootable diagnostic (usually free) from the manufacturer of your hard drive. You can check your memory with a bootable test that's free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Have you cleaned the case out (either by opening it, or by blowing it out with compressed air)?

Any other symptoms that you can recall?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 potsofclay

potsofclay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

The XP CD is brand new so it's probably not that...

The main problem is that nothing displays on the screen at all.

Is there any way to reformat the hard drive and install XP fresh without getting into DOS or BIOS or Windows or anything else for that matter? Is there a boot disk that will at least get me to a place where I can reformat?

Thanks for the help...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

You'll be able to format with the XP disk when you start the install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

I've seen, and it will sound weird, that hard reseting a LapTop will help in booting issues.

Disconnect the power and take the battery off. Press and hold power button 10 sec's. Try booting the LP without a battery. This has worked for me, and gives display. Also reseting both the RAM memory and the Hd helps in that too.

Do you hear any sound. Like the "Beep" just before recognizing the Hd's. Maybe it's just your LCD.
Try using another Monitor to prove this. Holding a flashlight near the screen will prove the backlight is not broken.

It should install the OS in a Hd with the recovery CD just by incerting it in the CD Drive. But you have to see and help with the installation, at least to get it started, not sure how E Machines recovery CD works

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 17 October 2007 - 04:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users