Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using A Daimond Radeon X1550 Video Card. Problems With Older Games.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Fox

Samurai Fox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

Recently I've gotten a Diamond Radeon X1550 card (PCI Version) and I'm loving it for the newer games. I like how I can max out my favorite PC games now, such as Warcraft III and Guild Wars, and still get nice framerates. However, when I try to play old games (specifically non-GL programs) and some other programs, I get a lot more slowdown than what I had with my onboard integrated graphics. This problem gets worse when I play them stretched in fullscreen.

Now I ask you. How is it that my newer games run fantastic but my older ones run slower? I don't get it. Maybe somebody on here can help me. I'd appreciate it very much. I've already updated my card's display drivers, but that didn't help much.

Here are my specs, BTW, if it helps any. This info came from dxdiag:

Machine name: KITSUNE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 2400
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 504MB RAM
Page File: 170MB used, 1055MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Edited by Samurai Fox, 16 October 2007 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

What games are you trying to run?
Posted Image

#3 Samurai Fox

Samurai Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:29 PM

Well, for example, when I had my integrated graphics on, I used to be able to play the original Quake on the Winquake port just fine on 640x480 without a drop in the framerate. Now, when I try to play the game on that setting with this card, everything's a whole lot slower during explosion effects and when enemies are cluttering the screen. Similar problems occur with other (windows, not DOS) older games.

Could it have something to do with my Celeron processor or Windows XP, or that maybe ATI hates old non-gl, non-direct 3D games?

Thanks in advance.

#4 TranceWarp

TranceWarp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

Winquake is ok, but I found a new port that works wonders and adds a bit of playability. DarkPlaces looks a LOT better, runs on higher end (read: Vista) machines and adds gameplay features not in the original game. I'm now running this with the varsions of quake I got from Steam with nice results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users