Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution Issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

So I just installed (successfully, thank god) my new Radeon 1950XT. All was well, I used the highest possible resolution for my tft-screen like I always do (1440x900), but here's the problem... Whenever I play a game now, the resolution keeps changing! For instance, if I use 1024x768 as the resolution for the game I'm playing, whenever I quit the game and get back to the windows desktop, the resolution is now the same as it was in the game. I have to manually enter Catalyst Control Center (cant do it via desktop properties because in there, the maximum resolution is whatever the game I was playing had) and set the resolution back to 1440x990. And whenever I play a game and exit it, it's the same thing all over again.

I'm kinda assuming its some sort of setting I havent found... I just dont know where to look anymore. Any help greatly appreciated!

UPDATE!
So now it seems that its not only after I quit a game or something, its after rebooting as well. It seems the default setting is ALWAYS 1024x768 and I cant change this in the standard Preferences via right-clicking the desktop, I HAVE TO change it in Catalyst Control Center. Also, a minute after rebooting and entering Windows, the screen flickers and first displays the desktop in 1440 for like a second, and then quickly changes back to 1024. Whats up with this?

Edited by MarcusofaDown, 16 October 2007 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Marcus,

I would try updating the video drivers. You should be able to find those on the ATI site. Also check to see if anything is listed in the Event Viewer. Usasma did an excellent job with a mini tutorial here - How To Use Event Viewer . See if anything is noted. Also, do you receive any error messages?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:39 AM

Hi Marcus,

I would try updating the video drivers. You should be able to find those on the ATI site. Also check to see if anything is listed in the Event Viewer. Usasma did an excellent job with a mini tutorial here - How To Use Event Viewer . See if anything is noted. Also, do you receive any error messages?

No errors detected as far as I know. I've now tried completely reinstalling everything, the driver, Catalyst Control Center and all. It worked until I went into display options in CCC and right-clicked on the display under "Attached displays currently disabled", then chose "Clone main with TV", which I ALWAYS do when because I wanna watch video through the tv. That worked, but after each restart after this, and every quitting of every game so to speak, it switches to 1024x768. I guess whenever the screenresolution is reset, it doesn't choose the one I want but rather 1024. How do I fix that?

UPDATE:

Someone said I should try Qres to force windows to switch to the correct res after restart, but when I did that, I got a big, fat, blue error message (just after the screen turned into some mosaic-like painting...) that said this: "Windows have been shut down due to some error. The file ati2dvag can be the problem. The driver has stuck in a continous loop. STOP: 0x000000EA (0x89362720, 0x8937DC10, 0xBA4DFCB4, 0x00000001)

Edited by MarcusofaDown, 17 October 2007 - 03:44 AM.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 AM

Make sure that you have all security updates and the latest version of the dot net framework, ver 2.0
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:02 AM

Make sure that you have all security updates and the latest version of the dot net framework, ver 2.0

I have all the latest security updates and dot net 2.0. Still doesn't work.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

ATI just released a new version of the drivers, http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...p=xp/radeonx-xp, as of 11 October. Have you tried those yet?

#7 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

ATI just released a new version of the drivers, http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...p=xp/radeonx-xp, as of 11 October. Have you tried those yet?

I freshly installed all drivers and the latest CCC the same day I posted the first thing in this thread, so yes. Very weird. There really SHOULDN'T be a problem here. I've done a fresh re-install twice. Gone through and deleted every file left behind from previous installations...

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

You are correct. you should not be having any issues at all. Let me pound my head on this desk while I research the issue some more. If you find a solution before I do, or anybody else has one, please speak up!

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

Uncheck the "Clone main with TV option" and restart.
Correct the resolution and try playing a game, then see whether the resolution reverts back to 1024x768

You can get some wierd errors with ATi's TV cloning feature. :thumbsup:

If the resolution returns to the higher value after disabling the clone option, report it to ATi
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:02 AM

You are correct. you should not be having any issues at all. Let me pound my head on this desk while I research the issue some more. If you find a solution before I do, or anybody else has one, please speak up!

Please do. I haven't found a solution yet so anything at all you can come up with is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

I have been unable to find anything that resembles your problem. Did you try what tswsl1989 said? also, you might have to email ATI tech support, as I am at a total blank now.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

This is totally out in left field. Is it a certain game or all games? I had a certain game giving me fits, turns out it was a corrupted shortcut on the desktop for the game. I know it's grasping at short straws
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

set your resolution to 1440x900, then logoff+restart..

run your games and see then..
=)

#14 MarcusofaDown

MarcusofaDown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:45 AM

Well, first off, I can say that it's so far three or four different games, so I guess that means its not a certain kind.

And second, just this morning, a new development!

So here's the situation now. After I had another one of those good looking blue screen crashes, I restarted my system and now the resolution is correct, even when I play games! So far, all is well, but here's the issue now:

I have the desktop cloned to the tv like I always had before. That works now. But, whenever I play a videofile on the comp, the screen flickers, goes black for a second and then back to normal, showing the video. It's like it almost goes into full screen mode and then not. Not really a problem I guess, it's just annoying. Also, I don't dare to switch off the cloning of the desktop since I figure the old issues might come back then.

Also, something weird has happened whenever I want to switch resolutions via desktop - properties. It's set to 1440x900 but the resolutions ABOVE that are seemingly endless. I can, in theory, switch to 3200x1200 now, and that CAN'T be right, can it?

So basically, the problem kinda solved itself after yet another crash(!). It's not all well though, and if anyone have any idea what this new stuff might be, I'm listening :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are the best!!

#15 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:56 AM

@MarcusofaDown and anyone else with this issue:
I've been talking to a friend, and this occurs occasionally for him. His fix is to install the Radeon Omega drivers, and reset the resolution using the tray icon provided with them. This workes first time, regardless of why his resolution has changed.

Apparently their better for performance as well.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users