Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Teacher Rant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

I am taking a Graphic Design Class at my High School, and I just cannot STAND IT!.
I went there to learn how to do stuff...realating to Graphic Design, but I have a teacher who doesnt even know how to use the programs.

She brushes over Photoshop, Indesign, and now Illustrator ever so sligtly....she teaches us the things that could be eaisly figured out by yourself.

Then when make something for a project (like we had to make a Brochure for a city in San Diego County). Well I figured all I needed to do was lay out a design for a Brochure, put some pictures of stuff...then just fill it with placeholder text in the places where text would go.
It ends up that she gives me half Credit, because of that. It could just be me, but I thought graphic designers, design layouts of things, and make photos, and edit photos and such....not make up stuff about a city, write a review, and give directions to it!

And Lots of times she doesnt even know what she is doing, she will try to show us something on the projector, and she cant even do it herself, so she goes over to one of the Graphic Design Geeks (she calls em that too), and asks how he did it. Then she goes back and shows the class!!!
She has even admited that she has never tooken a Computer Clas in her life, she takes pride in the fact that "she taught herself how to do this".

I also have her for webdesign, now I have taught myself HTML, by using tutorials off the internet, before I took this class. I designed the best Site in the class (all my friends agree), and I get half Credit!!!, She says I stole Code.....You know when you roll your mouse over an image it has some text-pop-up about it....yeah...she thinks I stole the ALT tag.....How can you steal a command in HTML....wouldnt that mean I couldnt use the <P> tag to make a Paragraph break?
Also got 1/2 Credit because I didnt stay exactly to the storyboard I made, before hand. I think that Lots of people have changes in thier minds when they come up with better ideas than what they had before, like I did, so my webpage and the storyboard where different looking.
Also I couldnt get the full 10 pages done, because of a habit of hers...She tells us when a project is due just days before, like on tuesday she said i was due thursday.
So I ended up taking a bigger bite than I can chew, but no one ever knew the due date, its STOOPID!!! Geez, What the heck do you expect me to do in 2 hours, and I still had had 4 pages to do. She wont let us work on it at home, becuase we might Steal from other websites, so an hour a day is all the we get to work on it. (about 40 minits to be exact). She is just soooo...INSANE!

Well thats my rant....just wanted to let off some steam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:46 PM

Take up Tai Chi and Yoga before your head explodes!

Seriously though, that sucks and its quite typical - unfortunately i dont have an answer for you, but i hope your rant made you feel better :D

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

It is always best to find out EXACTLY what is required for a project, and if you are not sure, keep asking; that way, for example, you would have known that you needed to create the text for the brochure.
Try, also, to make your teacher your partner in what you are doing, so if you do make changes from what you began with, your teacher understands that it was to improve it.
About all you can do is to make the best of a difficult situation, and be as communicative as possible.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:00 AM

I say you are in the rightplace for independent study,
and congratulations on understanding as much as you do.

I have spent years in the Graphic Arts trades.

Let's take it from here a day at a time. :thumbsup:

Graphic Communication is an art & half of it
is communication & you do that. good for you
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:34 AM

but i hope your rant made you feel better :D

It did :thumbsup: .

Well...shes just that kinda teacher, shes not very nice, she even looks mean...heres a picture of her Here
Lol yea she made a book.
I used that picture to put as a background for the teachers folder...which is a folder that the students can access, to grab some files and such for assignments...she was P'd, I thought it was the funnies thing ever :flowers:

BTY thanks for the tips John, I will try them on an upcoming project for frontpage (frontpage really is boring...I like coding from scratch).

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

I should not tell you this, but I am a project manager, too. As with most project managers, she probably does not know all that much about the technical details or the coding involved, so give her a little slack. (It's all I can do to get through a couple pages of COBOL). Wonder how many books at 50 bucks a whap she has sold, LOL.

As a project manager, she is probably acustomed to a lot of communication and feedback/reports about work in progress and is a team worker (hint, hint,hint).

Coding from scratch is very good and certainly commendable, but having some familiarity with various applications that are availvable is also handy.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

I have the same problem, I have a comptuer teacher for Multimeda and Computer Graphics, your right in my multimedia class were using Macromedia Director? wtf? I agree, I thought i was going to be learning how to make images, but no... and u kno what? now i hate director with a passion.

and in computer graphics were using flash.. and like u said, my teacher i had to teacher her everything, and bleep, and me and another student has to teach her everything, and u kno what the sad thing is, she claims she went to college for this bleep... i highly doubt that... she can't even follow the freakin' directions from the book...

#8 Exspider

Exspider

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:43 AM

So much for higher education. What can they teach us?
Your friends and the numbers all add up, we're just here to count them.......
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:49 AM

Good point on project managers, jgweed - a lot of the time its simply not their job to know the technical stuff - but god help you trying to get something organised without one!

#10 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:41 AM

I say you are in the rightplace for independent study,
and congratulations on understanding as much as you do.

I have spent years in the Graphic Arts trades.

Let's take it from here a day at a time. :thumbsup:

Graphic Communication is an art & half of it
is communication & you do that. good for you

Phwagg!!!!!!!!

Wot sort of Graphic Arts were you into????

I was with Crosfield Electronics :flowers: for 20 years.........so maybe paths crossed or missed.

:trumpet:

#11 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:45 AM

Lots of artists here - I have a BA(Hons) in Fine Art if it helps any ;)

#12 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:30 AM

Full of sympathy for the frustrated students of this world............ I was sometimes like that myself. Then as one gets older and wiser and develops a "Depth" to their knowledge we learn the wisdom of trying to truly understand ALL Aspects of our subject.............

BUT it then Occurred to me!!!!!

When I was 17 my parents and teachers seemed rather dumb, but I am pleased to say that by the time I was 25 I was amazed at what they had learned in those 8 years :thumbsup:

Because I do not have a tongue in cheek avi!!! :flowers:

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 24 February 2005 - 07:31 AM.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hi Trip

I sure know where you are coming from. I started playing with computers in 98 and spent two years in College. We had a hardware instructor that was completely clueless. The only reason she got the job was because she knew somebody and as the course was beginning they couldn't find anybody else. At the beginning of the course she gave us a schedule of what would be discussed in each class so we could be prepared by reading the text books. Funny thing was though, every time that we were to have a class on modems she would have an excuse as to why we had to cover something else. We never did have a class on modems. When I figured out she didn't know diddly about modems I responded to that by reading everything I could find about modems and trying all different kinds. Became somewhat of an expert.

What I'm trying to say is that as you move on into the working world you may be thrust into situations that you may not be comfortable in but you have to do the best you can. It sounds to me like that is what happened to her. Your teacher sounds like she has a bit of a problem with you and so she takes out her frustrations in the only way she can by giving you lousy grades. But you aren't doing yourself any favors by antagonizing her. Putting her picture in that brochure may have been funny to you and your friends but ultimately she will win because she has the power. Try what I did and just be the best you can be and let the petty nonsense slide. Do the absolute best job you can do without trying to take her on. You will win that one and everybody including her will know it too.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users