Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where To Put Fans?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

Hey,

Please can you help me with this query?

I currently have 3 Fans inside my PC:
* Power Supply Fan (Don't know if this counts)
* CPU fan
* Fan at back of PC (I think it's 80mm)

I don't know whether to put the Fan that is at the back of the PC to the front cooling the HDD. The HDD is a Seagate 40Gb PATA HDD. I am thinking about upgrading it to a 160Gb PATA HDD.

There is a place for the fan to go at the front near the HDD/s and also a Fan Connector on the motherboard.
I read somewhere (but forgot where it was) that the fans need to be put in a perticular place with a fan at the front bringing air in and a fan at the back blowing air out. Is this true?

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Yes it is true, To achieve Ideal airflow you need a fan in the front of the case near the bottom and one at the back of the case near the middle or top. If your concerned about HDD cooling you can get a fan specific for the HDD you can find them here. What kind of case do you have? There may be a space for a fan at the front of the case. There is an option of modding the case to accept one if your good with a dremel tool. You could also purchase a new case that has better cooling options. As far has Fan Headers on a motherboard they usually only have 1 for the heat sink fan and maybe 1 or 2 for case fans. Most after market fans include power connectors to connect to an extra HDD power cable. The last question would be how big is your power supply? You don't want to overload it and cause problems else wear.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

It's probably just me, but I don't like plugging case fans into the motherboard. I prefer the power supply
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 October 2007 - 03:04 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

I'm no pro at this, but if you only have one case fan (near the cpu cooling fan?) and the cpu fan is just blowing hot air away from the processor, I think it would be best to leave that 80mm case fan as exhaust. It gets rid of the hot air.

Other good ways for exhaust are PCI slot fans. I've never used one, but I've heard they really help lower temperatures, especially if you have a graphics card. PCI fans on newegg .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

The ATX specification was set up to draw cool air into the front bottom of the case and exhaust it through the PSU at the top rear (at it's simplest). Over the years I've found that I like:
1) A fan blowing cold air over my hard drives (the front fan)
2) A fan blowing cold air over my CPU (requires a hole in the side of the case)
3) A fan pulling hot air out of the top of my case (a blowhole)
4) The PSU fan pulling hot air out of the case

I've tried, and haven't found much difference with:
1) Another fan blowing cold air over my mobo/RAM
2) Another fan blowing cold air over the bottom of my mobo/RAM

Despite the hazards of working with an open case, I find that this is even better for me (and it beats having to take the case apart to get inside!) - but it attracts hair and dust like there's no tomorrow!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hey usasma! Thanks for putting a reply on all of my posts, I really appreciate that.

As you see below, the pictures show where my fans are (sorry if quality is bad but it is a 1.3 Megapixel camera phone!):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hope you can roughly see what is in these pictures (again I aplogise about how bad these pictures are!)

I don't know why but on the fan at the back, air is sucked in?! Why I don't know! :thumbsup:
Also why is air sucked away from the CPU and not onto the CPU?

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

The principly behind the fans is that you have a "flow" of cool air through the computer from the bottom front to the top rear. Before changing any of the fans around tho' - I'd suggest installing this free utility to monitor your temps and fan speeds: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

The CPU fan does mess this up tho' - that's why I cut a hole in the side of my case to let cool air directly onto the CPU. Here's a link to a very old article where I documented the cooling effect: http://www.overclockers.com/tips393/index02.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users