Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! Win95 troubles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmgarcia50

jmgarcia50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

I recently had to switch to a computer using win95 and i find it to be extremely slow, and hard to find software and hardware for. I was wondering if someone could help me to find the easiest way to either upgrade it, or to install a different win program(if possible). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:10 PM

It could be slow because it has old hardware. You can try this and we can tell you if have any spyware/infections in there that could be slowing you down:

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:20 PM

Strange you never asked him the processor speed and how much RAM as a first line of enquiry before jumping straight in with HJT? It may have been slow from day one --- ??

#4 jmgarcia50

jmgarcia50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:51 PM

The computer has 64mb ram, and Im not sure of the processing speed. And there are not any bugs or anything I have already checked for those. Its just been slow from the time I got it, its a used computer so i think it needs some work im just not sure what to do, I have tried everything I know.

#5 delta dart

delta dart

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:27 PM

jm

If it a really old computer like a 486 processer, possibly 100meg it will always be slow. Its been a long time since I have played with Win 95 but I beleive it has a program called MSD that will tell you your system specs. such as processer speed, mem,etc. Go to start/run and type MSD,Enter. Also some older computers will display the processer speed during boot. You have to watch closely as it will not be displayed very long. You can pause the display at this time with your pause key.

Russ

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

Strange you never asked him the processor speed and how much RAM as a first line of enquiry before jumping straight in with HJT? It may have been slow from day one --- ??

In these types of situations I would rather see the software side before the hardware side, because then I can determine if that is causing any slowness and rule that out.

If I had asked the hardware side, which since its 95 its probably going to be an old computer, I would have most likely blamed it on the hardware without even looking at possible issues lurking in the software.

Edited by Grinler, 13 February 2005 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users