Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Jobs Need To Be Nudged Along

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Buggrit

Buggrit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but have a reasonable knowledge of techie stuff.

My problem is printing to a network based print server - specifically an HP JetDirect 175x.

Whenever I send a print job to the JetDirect, it goes into the queue and just sits there. I guessed it was a problem with the spooler.svc , so I restarted that and then refreshed the print queue and hey-presto out popped my print job. The problem is that this happens very, very frequently so much so, I've written a batch file to reset the spooler for me. (see below)

My question is: Does anyone know a permanent solution to this niggle? I've seen it happen on a couple of other XP machines but not all. Oh yes and it seems to become more consistently bad when my modem detects that the phone has rung. Possibly something to do with the fax spooler service maybe???

Many Thanks - JB

My batch file for anyone who may find it useful...

[codebox]CLS
@echo off
echo This program restarts the print spoooler service and clears broken print jobs
echo Jason Bell 2007
echo .
echo Please wait for approx 10 seconds...
NET STOP SPOOLER
:: Pause routine
@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > nul
@ping 127.0.0.1 -n %1% -w 1000> nul
:: end Pause routine
NET start SPOOLER
echo Job has completed The printer should now work again
@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 -w 1000 > nul
@ping 127.0.0.1 -n %1% -w 1000> nul
echo on
:: end[/codebox]

Edited by rigel, 16 October 2007 - 12:36 PM.
removed spam tag ~ rigel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

You could try running the Spooler Cleaner (Cleanspl.exe), which is part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (it will work with XP).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users