Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Change Suggestion for Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

First off - THANKS so much for the assistance and for the tutorials! Both have been excellent and very much appreciated.

When I was following the tutorial steps for starting my Windows XP machine in "safe mode" (which I had never done before), I found that an additional step in the tutorial was needed...or so it seemed.

In order to get back to "normal" boot mode - I not only had to "uncheck the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT" as noted in the tutorial, but I also had to go to the General Tab and check "NORMAL" - otherwise I got messages on boot-up and had to go back and do this step again.

So, just a suggestion to make things easier for the next newbie -- but please have someone more knowledgeable check it out before actually making the change, in case I was just befuddled :thumbsup: at the time and did something funky to cause it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

No that sounds right. If you go into safe mode using the msconfig method you would need to uncheck that. I will update the tutorial to reflect that.

Just checked and it looks like i do already have this line:

Step 9. When are finished with your tasks, complete steps 1-7 again, but in Step 6 this time uncheck the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT".

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:27 PM

Grinler

You do have that line --

Step 9. When are finished with your tasks, complete steps 1-7 again, but in Step 6 this time uncheck the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT".

My suggestion is to change it to read:

Step 9. When are finished with your tasks, complete steps 1-7 again, but in Step 6 this time uncheck the checkbox labeled "/SAFEBOOT" - [B] AND go to the General Tab and check Normal

Since that was the additional check I needed to make to get back to normal boot mode.

Sorry if I haven't 'splained this very well.

Dazed

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hmm..didnt know you had to do that. I will test it out tomorrow and see

Thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic