Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msw Malicious Software Removal Tool: Any Conflicts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of installing Microsoft Windows' Malicious Software Removal Tool, but am concerned there may be conflicts with:

1. Ad-Aware;
2. Spybot - Search & Destroy;
3. Stinger by McAfee; and,
3. Sygate Firewall.

The Tool (from MS Downloads Center) claims it is compatible with Windows 2000, but do I really need it in addition to the above?

Or should I expect 'problems' after installation?
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

Malicious Software Removal Tool

The version of the tool delivered by Microsoft Update and Windows Update runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool is normally downloaded every month as part of the Windows Updates. You only need to download it separately if you want to run it more than once a month.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

You mean I should already have it, and it's lurking in my system rearing it's head above the parapet once a month?

Prior to download of the Tool, I did a Search for the KB number and it wasn't present - but I suppose that only means the version from the Download Center wasn't present. Yes?

What d'you recommend I do, my friend?
Rob

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, you probably already have it, although I seem to remember (can't find a link) that after it runs during the update process it deletes itself.

Prior to download of the Tool, I did a Search for the KB number and it wasn't present - but I suppose that only means the version from the Download Center wasn't present. Yes?

I'm not sure - but I do know that the KB number changes every month.

I have never heard of it conflicting with anything so I think it is okay to download and run it if you want.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:59 AM

Yup, I'm in a good mood and it can't last - so I'll install the version from the Download Center and come back and, if applicable, tell you back at this Thread why Microsoft made even more of my hair fall out.

Thanks, my friend. Let's close this Thread - unless I need a hair transplant....
Rob

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

MSRT KB890830.

MSRT only scans for and removes a limited number of specific malware variants that you can see in the KB article link above. MSRT does not conflict with existing security tools and is not a comprehensive solution to replace an up-to-date anti-virus program.

When you run MSRT, a temporary folder with random characters (79f142e5e9e574d23954) will be created on your C:\ drive that contains mrt.exe, mrtstub.exe and a file named $shtdwn$.req. Most of the time after performing a scan and you click finish/cancel the folder will automatically be removed right away or after the next restart. If not, the folder can be deleted manually without an adverse effect on the computer.

When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. The tool creates a log file named mrt.log in the C:\%WINDIR%\debug folder.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users