Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Friend Of Mine Has Her Google Search Hijacked.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Illusion13

Illusion13

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

Like whenever she searches something it'll redirect to somewhere else. I've done an analysis on her hijackthis log and found nothing that helps... Also got her to do a vundo scan, nothing.

Apparently its happening to all search engines and it redirects her to some other random search engine. She can click the links on there and it'll take her to the real site. Happening in all browsers (ie7, firefox, opera).

Is there any simple answer to how to fix this? >.>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:45 AM

Check the Addons for anything suspicious. Use the two programs below and let us know the results.

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Illusion13

Illusion13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:27 PM

Weird... She did both scans and it found nothing other than tracking cookies...

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

Check the Add/Remove program list and Google anything that you don't recognize. Did you check the Addons?

After doing the above and the problem still isn't resolved, post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum.
DO NOT post the log in this forum. Instructions on how to do that is in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Illusion13

Illusion13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Apparently now its a firefox only problem. Is there anything that'll allow me to wipe all firefox settings after uninstalling firefox?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

See info in link below for COMPLETELY uninstalling Firefox.
Have you checked the addons in firefox? You can try running just Firefox in safe mode and see if the problem continues.
That is pretty drastic if you remove all bookmarks, etc.
Plus it may not remove the malware.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:32 AM

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users