Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications Not Working Right After Mobo Installation.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

We recently had a new motherboard installed into my guy's computer. After the fact, Nero won't work, Alcohol won't work, same with yahoo, firefox and skype. I did a repair install of windows, and these programs are still not working. I can't think of what else to try. Help?

**EDIT: One of his backup drives isn't recognizing now since the repair install.

Edited by Jason and Clover, 15 October 2007 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hi Jason and Clover and welcome to BleepingComputer.

When you had the new motherboard installed did you reinstall the operating system as well? If not this could be your problem as windows operating systems in general and XP specifically don't like seeing new motherboards and this can cause major problems for the OS, you may need to reformat and reinstall your OS. The link below has some useful information regarding this.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hi Jason and Clover and welcome to BleepingComputer.

When you had the new motherboard installed did you reinstall the operating system as well? If not this could be your problem as windows operating systems in general and XP specifically don't like seeing new motherboards and this can cause major problems for the OS, you may need to reformat and reinstall your OS. The link below has some useful information regarding this.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

That's why I did the repair install. So we need to reformat and reinstall completely?

Also, is there an easy way of detecting the drivers that this is going to need so I can burn them to disc?

Edited by Jason and Clover, 16 October 2007 - 12:32 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:27 AM

If the OS is corrupted badly enough you will have to do a new installation. When you install the OS the drivers will load along with the OS. If you have added any peripheral devices like a printer or scanner you will need the CD that came with the device to install the drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:47 AM

You could also try updating the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

When I did a repair install of windows, Nero stopped working, and mozilla. My skype still worked though, but it acted like it was the first time I was using it. I think this happens if part of the program installs into a windows folder, so that folder gets deleted and remade during a reinstall of windows.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

Usually, if a repair install (and installing the new drivers) doesn't fix things - then your only recourse is clean install.

Check in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any red x's or yellow !'s - those are the drivers that will need updating. Let us know what it says and we'll assist with locating the drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thanks y'all! We'll be doing a clean reinstall this weekend when we both have the time. I'll keep you updated!

#9 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

Do I need a special driver for the mobo?

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:40 AM

What mobo is it?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

Yes, you'll need special drivers for the motherboard and any other hardware devices that you plan on using (such as the video, the network card, the modem, a wireless card, sound, etc).

The drivers for the devices built into the motherboard will be available for download at the motherboard manufacturer's website (although you can get some of them from different places). The other hardware devices can be downloaded from the hardware device manufacturer's website (this includes devices plugged into the motherboard inside of the case - and those plugged in outside of the case).

You can skip the driver for your computer monitor unless you need some special setting that the monitor manufacturer provides (I don't use them myself). This is not the same driver as your Display Adapter/video adapter/video card.

Edited by usasma, 21 October 2007 - 07:39 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

We got everything installed and it was working fine, but now it's saying that any .exe he tries to open is corrupt. Also, I can't find a driver for his DVD player that works (lite on dvdrw LH20A1P).

#13 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Also, he got this error message earlier: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \$MFT. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

Those types of error messages result when Windows is not shut down properly or cannot shut down properly.

Part of the shutdown process is an orderly completion of tasks and closing of processes/programs. Sometimes it just doesn't happen that way, for various reasons.

Hanging applications are likely to result in messages like that, IMO. Most hanging apps can be traced by looking in Event Viewer.

Louis

#15 Jason and Clover

Jason and Clover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Now we're having problems with any executable saying it's corrupt when trying to open them. Also having problems with windows update. it downloads the updates but doesn't install them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users