Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Content Plus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Keefer

Keefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

My first post so here we go.

MSN Content Plus

I have a box coming up on my screen asking me to either buy the validation key or uninstal the above program. When I check the task manager, it is not showing as running. In fact not much is showing as running. It does not show in add or remove programs either. I think there may be remnants of other adware in the PC too. I ran one of the free scan progs and it found about 270 other problems of about which 6 are serious. It slows down the boot up and I've had to reboot once from the XP CD rom once. I have system mechanic which has got me running normally again but the MSN Content Plus problem persists.
Is there decent freeware available and if not, short of formatting and reinstalling windows, what is the best package to buy to remove adware.

Thanls :thumbsup:

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 15 October 2007 - 10:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to BC Keefer

Do you have MSN Content Plus or MSN Winks Plus installed on your system? These programs have to do with free winks and emoticons but can be difficult to remove. Do you see them listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel? If so, uninstall it. If you already did or that did not help then, do this:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager or go to Start > Run and copy/paste or type: taskmgr
  • Under the Processes tab find the following tasks or processes:
    msnappm.exe
    msnlogm.exe
    msnlogs.exe
  • Highlight it and click "End Process". Repeat for any other files listed, then exit Task Manager.
Please delete the following file(s)/folder(s) if they exist. You can use Windows Explorer to navigate to or use Windows Search feature > More advanced options to locate them.

msnappm.exe
msnlogm.exe
msnlogs.exe

Click the below link to download AutoRuns.zip.
http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related any of the files listed above.
  • Right-click on the file and choose delete.
Reboot when done and see if the pop up has gone away.

If not, then reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method and delete those files. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Edited by quietman7, 16 October 2007 - 09:11 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users