Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Member Info

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justice501

justice501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

I visited the site many times and it seems like a very popular site. I hold a AA Degree in Electronics with most of Creation leaning toward the computer technology. This was years ago and along way many things have become obsolete. At the same token I have learn many new things with much more to learn and explore. I just like to learn new things. And the time computers perk my interest. It amaze me how we get one thing accomplish when another goes belly up. I have been with computers from when they had the 286 CPU and use Dos as the main operating system till we jump to win 3.11 and I have travel threw the times. I have seen and used xp and it hasn't impress me in the slightest Vista is to new. So as of now I stick to what I am using. My main core unit is one I built running win 98 SE. It is down right now with a blowed hard drive. Just haven't got around to the repair and transfer. The unit I am using now is a used Compaq. Has operating system of Me. Boy I have to say this little Burger has been a really learn curve! Loaded with a lot of problems. The guy was selling it for 10 Bucks right down my alley. Ask him if he had passwords and he said yea but he forgot them. Said he was selling it for junk and it wouldn't come up. He said the system was junk and Compaq was well let leave it at that. I am not a fan of assembly made computers. Most of it to do with proprietary issues and the worst customer tech service. It has gotten worst most of them don't speak English. Well I have the power up problem repair. From the looks of whoever was pounding on it it knock a couple of plastic stand off allowing the board to go to ground. I was lucky nothing burn out on the board but the power supply was dead. This power unit was a real Korean chepo but it had a fuse in it. Solder a new one in it and bing I was up running. I got the bios password broke but the system is still a question but I can get into so far. Now I have to agree with him this operating system is kinda of unstable and from some of things he did and did not do. Wow what a mess! That is why I come here I going to ask for help. Using I read a lot of books and such but I have decided to ask fellow users. I realize there is no more support for this system but Microsoft still has a lot of info in there Library. Also I agree that Me is not the most shinning example of Microsoft operating systems. But I'll give it a go. And I already went threw the Library at this site and I even came up with a answer to one problem I had. Now I decided to join to find some answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Hi justice501 and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Good for you for bringing life back into an old computer. :thumbsup:
If you have any questions about this system post them in the Windows 95/98/ME forum.

Please check out the New User Orientation section to help get familiarized with how the board works.

There is also a really good Tutorials section that has lots of useful information.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

Welcome to BC!
Has MS EVER created a good OS?
If you take care of it and do routine maintenance, ME isn't that bad.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the greetings. As for as a good operating system jgweeed, unfortunately this is not the case with MS. It about money greed and who has the power. It us guys out here who make a better system and hopefully we can help others to maintain a better system. It sometimes can be a real hard task. I'll keep in mind about the tutorials and such. I just roll up my sleeves and starting to do battle with some nasty critters. I just loaded my firewalls and virus protection. My inter net service provider also has real good protection. What this machine has will not get out. Just downloaded a program call spy bot. Seen it mention on this site. Had a heck of time down loading took several attempts. But got it done. Then it didn't want to start but it finally did. It found a couple of things one nasty one from what it appears called Virtumonde they need to go back to spy bot and talk with them about that. But it did not find the one that keep coming up with vrt****.tmp. It keeps making them and it causes all kinds of screwy things. The worst is making something go into a loop and continue to access the hard drive to the point you can no longer use your computer. But all this is in another part of the forums and I may need to go there are I may pose an answer and a heads up on what it is. I will say that it a nasty bugger. Later guys.

Edited by justice501, 16 October 2007 - 10:28 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

This is not the place for discussing individual problems, but I wanted to make you aware of one of BC's Self Help Removal Guides:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;hl=Virtumonde

This may save you some time and help you. If you have problems or this does not work, you can post about it in the "Am I Infected?" Forum.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 MaRiiA

MaRiiA

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:01 AM

Let me be honost with everyone, but i don't like reading that much. :flowers:

:thumbsup: to BC justice501 where all your answers are just a click away :trumpet:
ahh is it lust or love? the question many have feared to answer for there is no telling :D
Last to post wins! i guess i'll never give up on that game until i win it!
maria over n out ><

#7 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up jgweed that will save a lot of time. :flowers: And MaRiiA reading does suck at times but you sure are right about answers being only click away. Well maybe 2 or 3 clicks :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users