Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paradigmetix

paradigmetix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hi. I am building a home computer that is going to be used for massive downloads, gaming, music, videos, research etc. I don't know much about hardware, am shopping at NewEgg.com and would like to know if these parts work together (I have included their item #'s for easy research):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6850 Item # N82E1681915026

Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard Item# N82E16813131074

Sound Card: Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Proffessional Series Item# N82E16829102005

Case: iStarUSA Nitro Ax S-10000B Black Aluminum Front Panel / 1.0mm SECC/SGCC Chassis ATX Full Tower Item# N82E16811165008

I would also appreciate any advice on a Video Card, Phone Modem (I don't even know if I need this if I'm getting Cable High Speed Internet), Hard Drive, Ram, CD/DVD Rom Drive/Burner that supports Blue Ray, and anything else you know I'll need to get started. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

is there any set price range your looking for?
is there a specific os your planning to use?

if not...
you could go with quad core instead (they will also be dropping in price in november or december if you want to wait), plus that motherboard supports quad core. since you'll be using the pc for massive downloads, storage space will be something to go for. you might want to get a bigger case. the Lian-Li PC-V2100 series offers 12 internal 3.5" bays and 6 external 5.25" bays. costs more then 200 bucks and you can't get it from newegg, but pricewatch.com sometimes has it. if you get sata controller card, you could put 12 3.5" hard drives in the case and easily have several TB worth of smaller drives (500gb sata drives seem to be the cheapest pcost per gb currently) or just fill it with large 1tb drives. with so many drives, you could make mirrored sets for backup. for the gaming side, you could go with 2x 8800GTX in SLI and put in 4gb of ram, but you'll need a 64bit os to make full use of it.

Edited by zaroba, 16 October 2007 - 10:00 PM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users