Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 truckie

truckie

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

I just installed a NEW DVD RW Drive and it reads CD's ok and plays Music Cd's BUT when I put a Movie DVD in the computer locks up and it will not play the movie. Any ideas what would be causing this? Thanks :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Welcome to BC
Which player are you using and what codecs? Do you have an idea what format the movie is?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 15 October 2007 - 07:12 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Mark, the player is a Samsung 20X DVD R DVD Burner SATA Model SH-S203B. I've tried several movies That were purchased at Best Buy. Thanks

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

What player are you using?
The program you use, to view movies.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

I tried RealPlayer and Studio Launcher by Pinnacle.

#6 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Anybody have any other ideas? THANKS :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#7 mayfair

mayfair

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

You want to check the region code of the dvd drive.

So high light the windows start button, right click on the explore option, select your dvd drive and right click on properties. Highlight the dvd drive under the hardware tab and again select properties than select region. If you live in the US it should read one (1). If it doesn't than you won't be able to read any dvd you have purchased in the states.

I have the same issue with a Samsung SH-S203B purchased from NewEgg. Some how or another the region code has changed, or been changed, from what I selected when I installed XP Pro on the new build that the dvd drive is installed in. I hadn't used the drive to play dvd's until last week which is when I discovered the problem. I've also installed the new firmware which works fine but still no joy.

According to the properties window for the drive I'm at region 2 but have three changes remaining. Attempts to change the code have failed. A search of the msft kb, the net, and the samsung website have not yet yielded a solution other than the code may be a burn-in firmware issue that is set at the factory and therefore not changeable.

Anybody out there having the same problem with this particular drive? Any solutions or is this an rma item?

tia

#8 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

The region code did show 1. I purchased this one also from NewEgg. I am wondering if it is defective? Strange everything works from the drive except trying to play movies.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

The player is region one, what about the movie? It should say on the jewel case. Other than that, all I can say is try Google. We can't say how to bypass copy protected material
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

All of my movies are purchased at Best Buy. None work. How do you mean try Google? I like the pic of the pup on the laptop LOL.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

You said this is a new unit. Take it back and tell them it won't play region one and don't let them tell you it's your computer. Then try a different brand
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users