Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers For The Visually Impaired

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

I've got a question for all the visually impaired users out there: What's your preferred browser/browser helper that allows you to enjoy the net and what are your biggest pet peeves about web design?

I know there are screen readers and such available, and that every web design primer worth its salt warns against using designs that aren't screen reader friendly, but they don't really say how to do that.

I'm designing a small site for a group of people and among them are several visually impaired persons. I want to be able to design a site that both looks nice, works well, and is accessible to visually impaired people.

Any thought, suggestions, or pointers are more than welcome! :thumbsup: (thumbs up)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:36 AM

That sort of depends on what you mean by visually impaired. That can mean anything from slight color-blindness to complete blindness. You might want to start with Section 508 Compliance Standards

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Well, I guess i should go whole hog. By visually impaired I meant people who are legally or totally blind. But I didn't even consider the color blind! It makes sense, though. With the wrong text/background color combo, even a person with 20/20 vision has trouble!

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

But I didn't even consider the color blind!

Most people don't. Here is a web-site hat will mimic what a color blind person sees depending on the type of color-blindness they have (there are a few types). http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

There are tons of other ways people can be 'impaired'. By impaired, I don't mean anything is necessarily wrong with them, they just 'see' differently. Some people have problems with really bright colors. Some people can't differentiate between hues in the same family (ie light red, blood red, dark red, red, barn red, etc). Some people have problems with certain color combinations (red and black on a web page bugs the hell out of my eyes).

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, groovicus, that link is groovy! :thumbsup:

Some people have problems with certain color combinations (red and black on a web page bugs the hell out of my eyes).

I think that's a nearly universal affliction!

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

A visual impairment differs from person to person. Like many things in life you can't tar everybody with the same brush, in that case the best you can do is to try maximise the content and accessability for everybody. I'm visually impaired and work with students that are also VI including blind students.

The best rule to work by is to make things simple as possible. A clear, consicise, structured website is much better than a jazzy looking one. Avoid things like flash animation, if you are using pictures remember to tag them and add a sensible description. When adding links dont use buttons, use text links instead.

For more info please look here at the Royal National Insitude for the Blind located in the United Kingdom.

If you'd like more advice don't hesitate to contact me off the board or PM me.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

If you'd like more advice don't hesitate to contact me off the board or PM me

Which would completely defeat the purpose of a having a public place to share information, wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Which would completely defeat the purpose of a having a public place to share information, wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

Fair point, however other boards I've been using have requested such conversations to be held offline or via the PM facility. If anybody would like more advice I'd gladly pass on my comments.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Thanks folks! :thumbsup:

Now all I need to do is actually get to work on that site... :flowers:

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

other boards I've been using have requested such conversations to be held offline or via the PM facility

Yeah, that makes those boards just like thousands of other boards that have little useful information. I hate it when I am researching a question and I come across pages that went private. It just seems kind of pointless to have the forum in the first place. :thumbsup:

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

I agree with the Groovicus post above.

Precludes some of us from learning and helping others.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users