Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zennode

zennode

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hi, I am having trouble with my computer. Looking for advice. When I hit the power button its LED does not light up anymore and once I hit it you can hear the fans and hard drive booting for a sec then nothing. If I hit it a couple more times it will remain on, but nothing ever comes on screen, I can open the cd/dvd trays no problem and such. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have a brand new video card inside and still not working. I have also removed the ide cables for the dvd drive and hard drive and still nothing.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Do you have another power supply you can try? Do you hear a single POST beep? Plug the IDE cables back in and unplug the power connectors to the DVD drive and floppy if you have one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

No I do not hear a single POST beep. It does not seem to be the power supply, but I did disconnect the dvd and burner drives and still nothing.

#5 FlashFrame

FlashFrame

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

I am currently having the same problem. You can read my post here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/112280/my-computer-wont-turn-on/

I hope some of it can help you out. If you find any progress let me know :thumbsup:
I believe I need to replace my CPU. I really do not want to spend the money, but i might not have a choice.
If i figure anything out I'll definately let you know :flowers:
Mario

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

There still may be a problem with the power supply its best to throughly test it since its the cheapest part to replace if its bad. You can purchase a power supply tester online at Newegg.com or if you are proficient with a Volt ohm meeter you can test the functioning yourself. Use This diagram to check the proper voltages to trigger the power supply to turn on ground the green wire to any of the black wires. When testing use any of the black wires as a ground. If it test ok we can go from there

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

Adding to sneakycyber's post, even if the voltages check out there's still the issue of operating under a load. Kind of like "my engine runs but when I put it into gear it dies"
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

Have you tried booting without the RAM chips?

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

I Agree with Mark, you could also just try another powersupply.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users