Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect Uninstallations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:59 PM

I have some incorrect installations in my Remove Program option and would like to know a way to get rid of them or hide them (they get annoying x_X). Is there a way to do this?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

By "incorrect" do you mean that the program itself was successfully removed but an entry remains in Add/Remove programs?

If so, run regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

If you see the name of the program in the left hand pane under that key, you can right click on it and delete it.

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 15 October 2007 - 12:57 AM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

Well that and the fact that I was stupid and just deleted files i didn't want anymore
Posted Image

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

You can use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to do this.

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:23 AM

If you formally uninstalled the program and the entry remains in add/remove programs -- you can follow the instructions I gave.

The installer cleanup utility is usually meant for issues that result from incomplete removals after Add/Remove programs has been tried -- you can use it but it is probably overkill if all you want to do is remove the entry you see in Add/Remove programs. It is generally called for when you cannot reinstall a program due to traces of an old version being present in the registry.

If you "stupidly" deleted folders that contained the uninstaller for the program then the best recourse is to reinstall it and then uninstall it properly.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users