Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Wont Turn On :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FlashFrame

FlashFrame

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

It started about a month ago. I usually have my computer running all day and night going on standby when idle. I noticed that my computer was turning off on its own. Several days later i am on the computer and my monitor blinks out and comes back with a blue screen saying:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down...blah....blah..........
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete"
First time i had seen it. then throughout the next few weeks it was doing the same thing from time to time.
When i restart the computer, usually it boots up fine. Sometimes during boot up it stops and reads:
following file is missing
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
and over time, occuring more frequently, when i turn my computer on it will not start. I see and hear all the fans working and dvd drives working, but my screen displays nothing. My computer wouldn't even beep.
I would resolve this by turning it off and back on. Now, since yesterday it will not start, no matter how many times i try.
This all started about a month ago. The only new things I have added in the past 2 months are a new Acer monitor and a Wacom Tablet.
I appreciate any help i can get since i need this computer for school.

I built the computer over 1.5 years ago. I use Windows XP SP2.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.2ghz
2GB DDR SDRAM
Asus ATX AMD Motherboard

Thx again for your help :thumbsup:

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 14 October 2007 - 10:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Is the computer showing any signs of getting power, LED lit, fans spinning, hdd spinning? It could be a bad PSU.

When was the last time that you cleaned inside the case?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 FlashFrame

FlashFrame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

When i turn on the computer all my fans turn on, the light on my MOBO is on (green), DVD drives are on, and i can hear the Hard drives running. It sounds like it regularly does when i start up my comp. I just don't hear the beep or see the monitors click on. Oh... and the light on my tablet is also on.
Thx for reply :thumbsup:
Edit: before last night i cleaned it about 4-5 months ago. The CPU heat sink was pretty much layered with dust. the fans were pretty clean.

Edited by FlashFrame, 14 October 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

Can you get into safe mode or the BIOS? If your boot order has the CD-ROM before the hdd you could try booting from your XP disc, if this boots then you will know that you problem is with the software, if not then you have a hardware problem. What does you users guide say about the beep that is not occurring? Do you have another graphic card that you could try? To see if you have problems with your RAM you could download Memtest86 and run it, the longer you run it the more accurate the results will be.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 FlashFrame

FlashFrame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

I definately have a hardware problem since i cannot do anything with my comp. It doesn't get to BIOS. I have a feeling it might be the CPU.
Wheni installed the CPU with its stock fan, i kind of had to force it so it would fit. The only problem is that i cant seem to remove the fan and heatsink unless i somehow break it off, but i do not want to do that. I might not even have a choice.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

A black screen can be symptomatic of various things.

a. Loose connections on drives or lack of proper connection.

b. MBR troubles, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

A totally black screen (in my experience) is an indication of hardware problems, while a black screen with a blinking cursor indicates an MBR situation.

If it were me, I'd check all drive connections and power supply connections and I would try to get to the point where I could run fixmbr or fixboot from the Recovery Console.

I'd also temporarily switch power supplies, replacing the one there with a known good one.

Louis

#7 FlashFrame

FlashFrame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thx for reply Louis.
I checked all the connections. I even pulled all connections out and put them back in. Still doesn't turn on.
About my black screen, it doesn't even turn on. Just the fans, DVD drives and HD turn on, but it doesn't sound like it is trying to do anything. It all sounds monotone after 2 seconds.(I hope my explanation makes sense).
Thanks for your help,
Mario

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Do you have on board video or an expansion video card. Also there still may be a problem with the power supply its best to throughly test it since its the cheapest part to replace if its bad. You can purchase a power supply tester online at Newegg.com or if you are proficient with a Volt ohm meeter you can test the functioning yourself. Use This diagram to check the proper voltages to trigger the power supply to turn on ground the green wire to any of the black wires. When testing use any of the black wires as a ground.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 FlashFrame

FlashFrame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

The card I am using is the Radeon 9250 256MB DDR Memory 128Bit

Is there a quicker way to test the power supply. If I put it into a different computer? or is it safer not to.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

If you have access to another PSU try using that in your computer and see if it makes a difference. You could do the same with the monitor, this will at least either confirm or remove these as culprits. What is the model of your Asus and do you have the manual? The motherboard will have either a beep code or a led display to indicate failures in the POST, this should let you know what is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users