Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Set Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well I got the parts for my new build, and everything worked (tested processor, power supply, ram worked, video card, and hard drive). Anyways the motherboard was giving me weird problems due to grounding out. After solving problems and just creating more, the board sparked on me and is now fried. It has many bad reviews to and I'm going to see if I can get an exchange.

Anyways for when I get a new motherboard what should I do when I install it? It's going to be a full ATX board. I was given advice to put rubber washers between the board and mounting screws.

I was thinking that its probably just bad because in my computer case, where the board mounts to, is just flat, and the screws go right into the metal. The whole board is touching the whole metal part of the case. I figured this might be why I was having so many grounding out problems. Also I had to loosen the screws all up a lot to get it to barely work (when it was working).

Now my friend board just died on him tonight ironically, and this is the second time. His case/motherboard has the same scenario as me.

On the other hand, my other friend whose had his computer for much longer (custom built too), his board mounts in his case by these little bumps that stick up where the screws go. This way the board is barely touching the metal of the case at all except where the screws are.

So really I just want to know what would be the best way for this dilemma I'm having. Thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

If you look at the rear of the motherboard you will notice that where the mounting holes are there is an soldered surface around each hole, these are the only areas of the the board that may make contact to the case, anything else will result in a short. You will need to use standoffs to mount the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

Just to reiterate what Dc3 was stating. If the case doesn't have the standoffs (copper pin looking things) installed already you will need to install them according to the layout of your motherboard. Some builders also use the foam padding included in the packaging on the bottom of the board before installing in the case. Just remember to make room for the screws through the foam for grounding purposes and you don't want to cross thread a screw it may be very difficult to remove.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Now that I think about it. Are the copper standoffs the screw type things (came with case) the screws that have a top part where another screw goes into them? I wondered what they werre for. Wow I feel like an idiot... Thats probably why my board kept grounding out. Well its trashed now, I'll have to send it back still. I wish my motherboard manual was longer then 2 pages, but I still hooked everything else up right.

I really appreciate this guys!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

that why they are called "stand offs"

seperating the back of the motherboard from case backplate to keep it from shorting out

no rubber washers needed
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users