Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Son's Brand New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mojobrad

mojobrad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

My son has a brand new laptop.

I set it all up nicely for him with AVG, Zonealarm firewall, spy stuff too etc.

Off he went to uni. I visited him last week and he wanted to show me stuff on his computer. When the zonealarm popup came on he just clicked on allow. I was gobsmacked. I tried to explain to him not to do this. He's been away about a month and uses his computer for all the typical teen stuff.

Anyway, tonight I got a text. My computer won't let me log on. I called him. Apparently he gets to the log on screen and logs on. But then he just gets a black screen.

I thought it sounded pretty horrible. I told him to log on in safe mode and see if it says at the bottom of the screen log on at the last successful log in (or something like that).

I said if that doesn't work he'll have to re format his hard drive. Is this correct advice? I'm almost as computer illiterate as him.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

It depends on what he gets in Safe Mode - if he can get in, the first thing to try would be updated video drivers. Also, have him look in the Event Viewer (Start...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - check in Windows Logs, then in Application and System.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

System Restore, a non-destructive option, is often the easiest fix.

In Vista, if you don't see it on the start menu just "search" for it, or run rstrui.exe

It is also available in Vista from the F8 boot menu through the "repair" option which is normally there.

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 15 October 2007 - 01:02 AM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#4 mojobrad

mojobrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

Thanks a lot. I've forwarded your advice to him.

I forgot to mention that he said that the computer was working slowly the last time that he used it.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:48 AM

Let us know!

#6 mojobrad

mojobrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

Oh well.

We seem to have sorted the problem out.

The problem appeared to have been caused by the Windows update that had just occured.

My son performed a system repair and so far all is well.

Thanks once again for all of your support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users