Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Hanging Of System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vsjane

vsjane

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

My system has funcitioned flawlessly until a week and a half ago when the display began showing interference, corrosion to the point of having to shut down, and intemittent squiggly lines. I went to Lenovo Support for my IBM T30 laptop and was put through a series of checks, where in one, they downloaded a monitorying device. Another of thier tests was to replace all drivers, which I think I performed incorrectly, since I downloaded some but never uninstalled any, other than the video driver, which seem to go according to instructions. However, instead of gaining any ground on the video issue, my system began to hang intermittently and now has become so annoying I feel as though I will scream or toss it out the window (eleven stories above street level). Again, I went to Lenovo and went through their checks for a hanging system but nothing has improved this worsening situation. Jane

Edited by rigel, 14 October 2007 - 03:52 PM.
fixed tag

Jane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

go to control panel
system
hardware
device manager
yellow or red marks
click the plus sign
right click on the driver
click uninstall
restart your computer

see if that helps

#3 vsjane

vsjane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

"Yellow or red marks"? Followed steps without hitch until arriving at your yellow or red marks, which I did not understand or find when the device manager displayed its schematic; I'm a model and a complete novice at this. Thanks for your kind help, Jane

Edited by vsjane, 14 October 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Jane

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

yellow or red marks in the device manager could indicate that there are problems with the drivers...particularily the area you mentioned..your video how ever if you dont see these marks then your ok

are your video drivers onboard or are you using a video card

your on board video drivers are the ones IBM would recognize the foremost

if you use a video card ....then your on-board video would be disabled in the bios

post the make of your computer and the model number
perhaps new drivers can be found

Edited by mme, 14 October 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#5 vsjane

vsjane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks, mme. IBM T3o; model number 2366-96U; I posted the pertinent computer information when I created my profile. Is it necessary to place it somewhere else, too? As for the laptop, the video drivers are integral to the system and I don't know what a video card is. There were no colored marks of any kind when the device manager was displayed, which perhaps was what caused the confusion. When I went to Lenovo for support, they offered all necessary drivers for the computer, but I didn't know how to uninstall each and then replace and I worried i'd make some terrible mistake... Thanks, Jane

Edited by vsjane, 14 October 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Jane

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

You should take a look at Event Viewer and see if there are any errors reflected.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Event Viewer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

Since this is a laptop...the problem just might be with your screen, rather than the system itself.

Louis

#7 vsjane

vsjane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

Yes, in fact there were several errors recorded, however I did not know how to translate that information. Yet I located these recorded errors using PC Doctor; when I attempt to have this device run a full system scan, it hangs at the last three tests. Today, I started the scan at six this morning and it has run the entire day and still shows it will take more than two hours to complete, exactly where it was at seven this morning. Thank you...I'll learn how to use this event viewer and translate that info...Jane
Jane

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

here are the video drivers...1rd637ww.exe before you intall these drivers you must uninstall the drivers in you computer...on the page it has your download of video drivers ...but it also has uninstall intructions as well
do the uninstall instructions and follow the install instructions

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...R-41918#install

follow instructions

#9 vsjane

vsjane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, mme, I do really appreciate your thoughtful help. It took me six minutes to get back when I was notified of your response...ugg! I'll post my results..Jane
Jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users