Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Virus Or Worm Slows Computer And Disables Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EBPro

EBPro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

Am am running XP SP2 and somehow have pickied up worm or virus that does the following.

When I do a normal startup it disables my virus software and then loads up my system processor to 100% so that everything runs at a virtual standstill.

I can boot up in debug mode and safe mode without it activating and I can restore the system to an earlier time without it activating but as soon as I shut down the computer and restart it the bug activates again.

I have tried scanning with Norton Anitvirus and McAfee as well as a couple of internet virus scanners but cannot locate or identify any virus or worm. I can only load the antivirus software when the bug is not running so it is pretty well hidden.

It appears to only be activated when I boot up using most of the systemn and boot processes.

Here are things I have done so far with no sucess:
I checked everything in the startup and there are no programs loading there that should not be. Also disabled most of those except essentials.
Reinstalled McAfee VirusScan Plus (AntiVirus, Firewall & Antispyware).
Ran the online Trend Micro Scanner and it picked up a bagle.bl worm and removed it but I don't think it was really there or my Virus Software should have found it long ago.
Disabled System Restore.
The programs that are hogging most of the processes most consitantly are winlogon.exe at 99%, but on occasion that will change tp svchost.exe 99% and iexplorer.exe 99% and Taskmgr.exe 100%. It even locked in once with a 60/40 split between winlogon.exe and Mcshield.exe.
I downloaded and ran Hijackthis several times and even got it to run while the computer was in normal mode but it took about 30 minutes for it to complete and print the log. I uploaded it to sendspace.com. There is a current HJT log with the computer booted up in debugg mode at the end of this post.

The log HJTlink is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8siwhn
I have downloaded and run: Stinger, housecall.trendmicro.com/onlinescanner, Spybot Search and Destroy, Uninstalled Norton Antivirus/Corporate, Installed McCaffee VirusScan Plus, RootKitRevealer, disabled windows System Restore, checked everything I could find in msconfig and disabled almost all startup items in the Startup folder, deleted internet tempfiles, temporary files, and recycle bin files,
I have done numerous virus scans in safe mode and debug mode. Everything seems to work ok when I boot in debug mode but I don't know what it isn't loading.
It appears from the processes that are loaded in the Windows Task Manager and HJT scans that some of my MCAfee antivirus programs are actually loading but I cannot open the security center or run any scans unless in Safe or Debug mode.
I also cannot do a normal shutdown and or restart (no shutdown option appears in the start menu)

I am not a computer novice and this is the first time something like this has got me completely stumped.
Any meaningful help would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Bruce. --------------------

The following is a current HJT that was run with the system booted in debug mode:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:57:19 PM, on 10/14/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CAPM5RSK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\KMaestro\KMaestro.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
F:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$ALZMOBILITY\Binn\sqlservr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SAService.exe
F:\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Inbox\CToolbar.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\Inbox\CMail.exe
F:\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe
F:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msnbc.msn.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?prd=10920&...endor&o1=22
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\VIRUSS~1\scriptcl.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Inbox.com Toolbar - {4B3803EA-5230-4DC3-A7FC-33638F3D3542} - C:\PROGRA~1\Inbox\ctbr.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BtcMaestro] C:\Program Files\KMaestro\KMaestro.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "F:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] F:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [PcSync] F:\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe" (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [PcSync] F:\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog (User 'Default user')
O4 - S-1-5-19 Startup: ConfigureBJMK1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Boldon James\Messaging and Directory\MasterKey\configurebjmk1.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - S-1-5-20 Startup: ConfigureBJMK1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Boldon James\Messaging and Directory\MasterKey\configurebjmk1.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Inbox Search - tbr:iemenu
O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: MktBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MarketBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - F:\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: tbr - (no CLSID) - (no file)
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - F:\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
--
End of file - 9710 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blender

Blender

I will eat your Malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:00 AM

Hi and welcome

If you still need help please post fresh hijackthis log here.

Also log from this app:

Download this tool to your desktop:
http://www.uploads.ejvindh.net/rootchk.exe
Run the program. After a short time a logfile will turn up. Copy the contents of the log into the thread.

While this tool is running let reg.exe do what it wants. Changes made are only temporary and is part of how it checks for several known rootkits.

Also log from this:

Start> run> msconfig
Boot.ini tab.
Check /bootlog > apply & close.

Reboot

Locate C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt and delete it.

REboot

Locate same file and post contents.

I'll have an order of massive trojan attack please with a side order of rootkit and virus dip.
Pre-course order of fresh spyware salad please with a side order of polymorphic dressing.
And to drink...a nice tall glass of adware!

For dessert; can I have a bowl of the freshest worms you have please?.

Never Give Up!

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users